It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[Basics...] Purpose of a public repository workspace

Buisson Jean-François (11) | asked Sep 29 '09, 10:33 a.m.
I'm starting with RTC and in my understanding the purpose of the repository workspace is to keep team member's work isolated and backed-up on the server.

On the other and a colleague of mine propose to use a public repository workspace for team work.
Is it meaningfull to use a single public repository workspace for a whole team?

Thanks for helping me to clarify and giving me examples

6 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Sep 29 '09, 10:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Repository workspaces are owned by a single user, although their implementation is very similar to streams, they are meant to be uniquely for a single user. If another user tries to deliver to your repository workspace or discard change sets, it will fail with a permission denied exception.

To share work between a team, use a stream.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 29 '09, 6:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Repository workspaces are owned by a single user, although their implementation is very similar to streams, they are meant to be uniquely for a single user. If another user tries to deliver to your repository workspace or discard change sets, it will fail with a permission denied exception.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel, perhaps you can clear up a point on this. I have seen info in the Help file (and in the RTC courses) that you *can* deliver between repo workspaces directly. However, I seem to get permission errors when I do that unless I own the target workspace.

Can you really deliver to another person's repo workspace? If so - how?

thanks

anthony

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Sep 29 '09, 7:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can't deliver to someone elses workspace, it would be like changing their world without them knowing. The doc is misleading if it implies this. However, you can accept changes from someone elses workspace, since this only modifies yours, it's perfectly fine to cherry pick closed change sets from others.
Cheers,
Jean-Michel

permanent link
Danny Villemure (6) | answered Sep 30 '09, 6:47 a.m.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Im the colleague of jbui.

The idea of using a public repository workspace, is to provide an up and running development environment for the team. I do not want a developer to spend 2-3 hours with the support of somebody else to setup is workspaces, to run a web application with the J2EE artifacts. Currently we are using MAVEN to build are applications and setting up the development environment and we are struggling with it. To much knowledge required by the developer and way to much money trying to automagically configure the RAD 7.5 workspace with MAVEN and are own scripts.

The idea is to setup pre-configured public repository workspace with all the necessary RAD 7.5 artifacts (server, EAR configuration, web configuration, link between projects and link to MAVEN repository for component that you dont want to load in your workspace.

For our team we may have around 8 public repository workspaces, some with only the front-end projects other with only the back end projects or a mix of both depending on our specific needs.

The developer come in the morning pick the proper public repository workspace for his task and is up and running in 10 minutes. He can see ongoing changes from other, accept changes from his team mate or not. Of Course, from the workspace the changes can be delivered in the stream used for continuous integration.
I think its cool 

If its to disturbing for a team to work on the same public repository workspace, I guest we could provide a pre-configured repository workspace as a snapshot. Snapshot that could be used to create a private workspace.

Thank you in advance for your inputs
- danny

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 30 '09, 8:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Im the colleague of jbui.

The idea of using a public repository workspace, is to provide an up and running development environment for the team. I do not want a developer to spend 2-3 hours with the support of somebody else to setup is workspaces, to run a web application with the J2EE artifacts. Currently we are using MAVEN to build are applications and setting up the development environment and we are struggling with it. To much knowledge required by the developer and way to much money trying to automagically configure the RAD 7.5 workspace with MAVEN and are own scripts.

The idea is to setup pre-configured public repository workspace with all the necessary RAD 7.5 artifacts (server, EAR configuration, web configuration, link between projects and link to MAVEN repository for component that you dont want to load in your workspace.

For our team we may have around 8 public repository workspaces, some with only the front-end projects other with only the back end projects or a mix of both depending on our specific needs.

The developer come in the morning pick the proper public repository workspace for his task and is up and running in 10 minutes. He can see ongoing changes from other, accept changes from his team mate or not. Of Course, from the workspace the changes can be delivered in the stream used for continuous integration.
I think its cool 

If its to disturbing for a team to work on the same public repository workspace, I guest we could provide a pre-configured repository workspace as a snapshot. Snapshot that could be used to create a private workspace.

Thank you in advance for your inputs
- danny

Hi Danny - reading through your explanation, I think you are on the right track with a snapshot. Use the snapshot to maintain the different parts of the application (and multiple snapshots to maintain multiple setups). Creating a repository workspace from a snapshot is a very simple operation.

As you suggest - the changes need to go to a stream so other people (and your continuous integration build tool) can pull in the changes the developer makes once the/she has delivered them to a stream.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Sep 30 '09, 9:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you replaced "public repository workspace" with "stream" in your scenario everything should just work. In fact, the way you describe how you'd like to work mirrors what we do internally.

As you said, keeping a "blessed" set of streams with the configuration of things that let developers get setup as quickly as possible is a big produtivity gain. You can use streams for these "base" configurations that developers should start from.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.