It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build baselines appearing randomly is developers' workspaces

Peter Haumer (2.2k12019) | asked Dec 14 '17, 11:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 14 '17, 11:50 a.m.

I am wondering if anyone has seems this problem with RTC 6.0.4 as it is truly bizarre (from my point of understanding).

We are running nightly builds for several years now under a dedicated functional RTC user account, which has his dedicated build workspaces for loading the sources and building our app.  The builds succeed and I see snapshots are created successfully for each build as it should be.

Since we upgraded to RTC 6.0.4 however, we see that component baselines created by these builds, having the build label as their names, appear randomly in our developers workspaces and they see them in the Outgoing folder. Those users have nothing to do with the build process and their workspaces are definitely not used while building. They just work against the same stream and deliver change sets to them. These baselines only appear in one persons workspace and other developers do not see it. What is strange as well is that the component in which the baseline appears was not even used by the build (i.e. it was listed in the Exclude from loading list).

Has anyone seen it? Is this fixed in 6.0.5?

Given that this is a bug, what would be the best workaround? The user who had the baseline did a component Replace, but that created another baseline called "Backup before replace".  There was no way to get rid of it so we decided to deliver it.  But that cannot be a solution as an inconsistency in one developers workspace now causes an impact on the Stream to everyone else's workspaces. Deleting and recreating the workspace is really a lot of work in our setup.

Anyone has any guidance? 

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 15 '17, 2:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't know if there are defects or not. Support could look into this, however

Just because a component is not loaded, does not remove it from a workspace or stream, so I would assume that a snapshot would potentially create a baseline on a component even if that is not loaded. After all the component is configured and would load something if loaded. If the changes that make up the baseline that is created are in the users repository workspace, you would see it.

Delivering a baseline should be of no concern, only delivering changes would be.

There are changes in 6.0.x with respect to SCM and baselines and you might want to check the new and noteworthy.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 15 '17, 4:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 15 '17, 4:01 p.m.

In RTC-6.0.4, you can say "show history" on a workspace, and it will list all the operations that modified that workspace.   In particular, there will be an operation in that list that accepts that baseline into that workspace.   That should help you find out how it got into that workspace (if I had to guess, I'd suspect the user said "accept all", and didn't realize they were accepting an incoming baseline ... although I have no idea of course if that is what happened to this particular workspace).   If you cannot find that baseline being accepted into the workspace, please contact IBM support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.