It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can SPARQL query be used from external application?

Dmitry A. Lesin (24825996) | asked Jul 25 '17, 11:15 a.m.
Hello!
I'm only starting to work with SPARQL queries in Jazz CLM solution. Can somebody explain me whether this can be used from an external application? My final purpose is to extract info in text/XML/JSON format for further parsing. Is there any API or something like to Reportable API where I could get the data?
Thank you very very much if somebody who was practicing with this technology could say to me at least simple YES or NO!

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jul 25 '17, 10:38 p.m.

What do you want to achieve with SPARQL? What information are you after?
DNG provides an interface to use SPARQL in the Debug service page, but you really need to understand the RDF structure in order to use it.
Also, when you mention SPARQL, you in fact want to access the triple store, which is the JFS index in Jazz. It does not contain anything that is not already in the database.
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/UnderstandingJenaAndSPARQL
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/UnderstandingIndicesInJazz

Dmitry A. Lesin commented Jul 26 '17, 2:34 a.m.

I'm trying to build a DOORs NG client extension with Javascript which will automate the work of users. The script is very simple in first view but there are some obstacles to realize it. In its work, the script has to query all RDNG artifacts of some type and return a list of string values of a custom attribute (the final purpose is to define the maximum integer value which is inside those strings).
It seems to be very simple to do but I don't want to build full logic of this case on the client side. It could be better for me, for example, to return the data prepared and sorted by the server itself. May be, the data could be sorted in a descendant order. In this case I could select a first value in the list of returned data.

Dmitry A. Lesin commented Jul 26 '17, 2:35 a.m. | edited Jul 26 '17, 2:37 a.m.

I was trying to use Reportable API but it doesn't contain the needed capabilities for me. I have some thoughts about OSLC but I'm not sure that it will be well to realize the logic on the client side. And my customer doesn't want to have an additional web application which can accept requests from my JS extension and return the needed results.
So, I'm now investigating whether I could make some SPARQL query from my extension and parse the returned data. At least, I can build a report with CLM Report Builder, and I see the SPARQL request created by the system. If I could do this request from the extension in any way, may be it could solve all my problems!

Donald Nong commented Jul 26 '17, 11:23 p.m.

If you're developing something on the client side, I don't think you can use SPARQL by any means (no interface). DOORS NG offers no server extension abilities. In other words, I see no way that you can do it.

Dmitry A. Lesin commented Jul 27 '17, 1:39 a.m. | edited Jul 27 '17, 1:40 a.m.

May be, there's a way to call an external web service from RDNG extension. I found a sample:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RMExtensionsUsingExternalWebService602

I believe that if there's another way to call SPARQL query with OSLC then I could do it. But I can not still find the way. May be you are right, and this is impossible at all.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.