It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Syntax errors with scm load and share subcommands

Norm Proffitt (1121) | asked Sep 18 '09, 12:10 p.m.
I'm working on a perl script to extract files from a repository workspace and later load them back into the workspace. The script will eventually run on a s/390 SLES 10.2 so I'm running the scm code by invoking Java with the -jar org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_*.jar parameters. The jvm is the IBM J9 Java 1.6 jvm.

Using the perl script I can successfully login to and out of the repository, create repository workspaces, and add and remove components from a repository workspace. What I can't do is copy files to or from the local disk to the repository workspace. The command I'm using to copy files from the repository workspace to local disk looks like

load -r <repo> -d <dir> <workspace> <component>

where <repo> is is the repository url I successfully logged into, <dir> is the name of the directory I want the files loaded into, <workspace> is the name of the repository workspace, <component> is the name of the component that is in the specified repository workspace.

The command I'm using to copy files from the local disk into the repository workspace looks like

share -r <repo> <workspace> <component> <dir>

where <repo> is the repository url I successfully logged into, <workspace> is the name of the repository workspace, <component> is the name of the component that is in the specified repository workspace, and <dir> is the name of the directory that contains the files I want to put into the repostory.

Both the load and the share commands fail with syntax errors but for the life of me I can't figure out what is wrong with the commands. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Norm

3 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Sep 21 '09, 3:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Norm,

Is there a reason you aren't using the 'scm' (or 'scm.sh') shell script included in 2.0.0.1? That's aimed at *nixes that don't have a supported OSGi launcher.

If you have to write your own launcher, then add "-Dscm.show.own.errors=true" to java's arguments.

e

permanent link
Norm Proffitt (1121) | answered Sep 21 '09, 6:43 p.m.
Hi Norm,

Is there a reason you aren't using the 'scm' (or 'scm.sh') shell script included in 2.0.0.1? That's aimed at *nixes that don't have a supported OSGi launcher.

If you have to write your own launcher, then add "-Dscm.show.own.errors=true" to java's arguments.

e

scm.sh!? What scm.sh?... Oh, that one. Thanks for the pointer.

The reason I'm not using it is that I didn't know about it. I've been using the documentation in the Information Center (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/index.jsp), searching through the forum posts (which is where I found the method for invoking the tool directly using java) and the output of scm help to try to make this all work. That script doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in those resources.

I've taken a look at that script and decided to continue using my own launcher command. That script uses the jvm that is installed along with RTC. Since I will be running the code on s/390x SLES 10.2 the intel java binary won't work there. With my own launcher I can specify the J9 jvm to run the java code.

I have added the various parameters used in the script to my launcher and everything now works.

Thanks,
Norm

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Sep 22 '09, 9:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've been using the documentation in the Information Center (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/index.jsp), searching through the forum posts (which is where I found the method for invoking the tool directly using java) and the output of scm help to try to make this all work. That script doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in those resources.

If you're noticing deficits in our documentation, you should raise a bug.

e

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.