It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

User in access group cannot see the owner and visibility of a component

Jörg Werner (3033781) | asked Jul 03 '17, 10:51 a.m.

Hi all,

we use RTC SCM 6.0.3.
I've created an access group AG as described in article 215.
The access group contains two Projects P1 and P2.

The owner of Compnnt 'vv._self' is ownerd by Project P1 and Visibility is set to the defined access group AG

I'm member of both projects and have no problem.

A user which is only a member of project P2 can not see the details of the compont

access group:       AG = (P1, P2)
   component:     vv._self  =  {  owner=P1, visibility = AG }
   user:                   member of P2

He sees:

Is there any explanation for this behaviour?

Thanks, jörg

Comments
Ulf Arne Bister commented Jul 31 '17, 8:24 a.m.

Is it possible for the user to see the files/folders in the component? My understanding is that the visibility governs the read access to files/folders and the ownership determines who can change the owner / visibility settings.
Not being part of the owning project area might make the "owned by" and "visibility" not accessible, thus not even displayed when looking at the component.
But can you right-click > show > repository files and see the content?

Jörg Werner commented Jul 31 '17, 8:34 a.m.

Yes, user can see the files and folders within a component.
But the "meta-data" is not visible.

thanks, jörg

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 31 '17, 2:16 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I suggest filing a defect/PMR for this problem.   I have seen other defects reported where a user in the access control group does not have full visibility to the controlled object (in particular, they needed to be both a member of the project area that owned to object, and be a member of the access control group).   Some users have argued that this is a feature, rather than a bug, but to date, the development team has been treating this as a bug.

Jörg Werner selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jörg Werner commented Aug 01 '17, 5:26 a.m.

Okay, we will open a PMR.
Feature argumentation is "interesting" :-) If a user need to be a member of both, then at least in my use case I do not need access groups since everyone has already access. The reason to use access group is that a user shall have NO access to the original project area but read access to "shared" components.
  thanks, jörg

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 03 '17, 6:18 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, that is one of the arguments against that "feature".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.