It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to add Data Collection Component to existing CLM 6.0 environment?

Erich Wolz (1622711) | asked Jun 14 '17, 11:59 a.m.

I've been asked to add the Data Collection Component to an existing CLM 6.0 environment that includes CCM, QM, and RM and is currently hosted on a single server.

Is there an interactive install guide for this (i.e. along the lines of what there was for installing CLM in the first place)?  A search of jazz.net for [install data collection component] turns up literally thousands of hits, which makes it difficult to know where to start (that, and I also see multiple references to things like "Report Builder", "Lifecycle Query Engine" and the like (in addition to "Data Collection Component") which I assume are separate product downloads/installs).  I get the feeling that to get the Data Collection Component working, I will need multiple other components :-)

I would of course prefer to minimize disturbances to the existing production environment as much as possible, so if possible (and to the extent it makes sense) I suspect I should configure a separate server for reporting.  What do I need to download/install where?  I assume the second server needs to start with having WAS installed; does it also need DB2, or can I use the existing DB2 server that's hosting the CCM/QM/RM databases?  Also, what specific product(s) will I need?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kenji Sarai (96029) | answered Jun 22 '17, 2:50 a.m.

Hi Erich,

I would advise you to plan carefully to add a new data warehouse. It may require significant amount of H/W resource and job running time if there are millions of data in CCM, QM, RM. Here are the answers for your questions:

- DCC is the application to collect data into the data warehouse. In order to take advantage of having data warehouse, you need another application for report creation such as Report Builder (/rs), Birt, or Cognos BI. Report Builder is a part of CLM package, so this is the standard choice.

- It is highly recommended to set up DCC (and RS) in the separate server if you do not want to sacrifice the performance for CCM, RM, QM. Please see the CLM system requirements, estimate how many resources (by number of users, number of data, frequency of DCC job...) are required for report server,  then determine the H/W spec.

- You will need to setup DCC and data warehouse which can be running on WAS and DB2 respectively. You can set up new database "DW" either on existing DB2 or new DB2 (recommend the latter as the reason above). The setup wizard (/jts/setup) will help you create a database schema for DW.

- You can add DCC application from IM's Configure menu by ticking Data Collection Component. No need to add a new installer as DCC is a part of CLM installation package in 6.0.x. Then run JTS setup wizard to register application and configure data warehouse. If you install DCC in the separate machine, then copy the CLM installer to this machine, and install WAS, DB2, and CLM (DCC application only). Read the instruction below and understand how to run setup wizard for the new application installed in separate machine.
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_setup_wizard.html

Erich Wolz selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.