It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to move one custom workitem type into another project area in RTC 6.0.3.

jyoti mishra (45148) | asked Jun 09 '17, 2:40 a.m.
edited Jun 14 '17, 6:26 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

Hello Everyone!

I have to create a custom work item type in one project area ,and I have to move it to another project area,so that I can use that custom work item type in the new project area, and then create a new work item of this type in this project area.

Comments
jyoti mishra commented Jun 09 '17, 6:29 a.m.

I find two ways to solve these-1) editing in process configuration source file.

2)by using process sharing.
Is there other ways to solve these.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 14 '17, 6:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have edited Jyoti's question, because the question was about work item types, and not work item templates.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 18 '18, 2:15 a.m.

The only recommended way of "copying a work item type" that is recommended is to recreate the type in the other project area.

Use Process sharing if you want to standardize on a process and to be able to change that process over time.

It is technically possible to copy/paste parts of the process xml, but that is very error prone and can damage your project areas process, so it is not suggested.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Marko Tomljenovic (31650109) | answered Jun 12 '17, 2:15 a.m.

Each work item template is stored as xml file in the project area attachments (tab "Links" of project area editor in the eclipse client).

That means:
1. Download the work item template xml file from the source pa
2. Create and save a dummy work item template in the tg project area giving it the same name like the source template
3. Rename the downloaded xml file to be the same like the file create in step 2.
4. Upload the renamed file so that it replaces the one created in step 2.

Comments
jyoti mishra commented Jun 12 '17, 2:18 a.m.

Thanks for Reply.

jyoti mishra commented Jun 12 '17, 3:37 a.m.

Hello  Marko Tomljenovic,

Will you please explain me the 2 & 4th step, as I am not getting it,how to do it in rtc.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Jun 12 '17, 4:25 a.m. | edited Jun 12 '17, 4:26 a.m.

I hope these two pictures make it clear.

Simply assume the file would end with 33 and not 34.xml.

jyoti mishra commented Jun 13 '17, 4:40 a.m.

Thank you very much.

jyoti mishra commented Jun 13 '17, 4:47 a.m.

Hello  Marko Tomljenovic,

In my project area,Inside shared templates ,there is no any workitem present, and also name and identifier field is disabled.I am not getting how to import template

jyoti mishra commented Jun 14 '17, 1:12 a.m.

I had imported the template in tg project area,but still I am not able to get new custom work item in tg project area.

Donald Nong commented Jun 14 '17, 1:56 a.m.

I see some confusion here. Are you sure what you are trying to create? A new work item "type" or a new work time "template"? Marko's method is for the "template", assuming the same work time "type" is in both the source and target project areas.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Jun 14 '17, 3:31 a.m.

Donald, 

you are right. She wanted something completely different than what was given in the title.

@Jyoti: There is no automated way for copying a custom work item type definition (including its attributes, editors, ...) from one project area to another one. In my company we have developed quite a bug number of tools to make that possible as easy as possible but it is still a lot of cumbersome and error prone work to accomplish it.

jyoti mishra commented Jun 14 '17, 6:12 a.m.

I want to move new work item type i.e. my own work item (schoolDatabase work item),from one project area into another project area.I already moved it by using process sharing and by editing in xml file of process configuration source file.I tried by exporting custom work item template from one project area and then to import that template in another project area,but I am not able to do so,because in these project area some of the attribute is not present.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 14 '17, 6:31 p.m. | edited Jun 14 '17, 6:34 p.m.

You cannot copy a work item type into a new project area by importing a work item template into that project area.   A work item template just refers to work item types ... if that work item type does not exist in the target project area, then you will just get an error when you try to instantiate that work item template.  Marko's answer above was in response to your original question about how to copy a work item template.

jyoti mishra commented Jun 15 '17, 3:35 a.m.

Thank you everyone.

Rohini Kumar commented Jul 16 '18, 4:25 a.m.

@ Geoffrey Clemm can we Copy the work item type from one project to another without using work item template scenario

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 18 '18, 12:38 a.m.

No, there is no way that I would recommend to copy a work item type from one project area to another.   

showing 5 of 13 show 8 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.