It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best approach to control RTC process template versions?

Andre Gusmao (802540) | asked May 31 '17, 4:03 p.m.

I work with a customer who continuously evolves their RTC process template. They keep the XML files from the previous process template versions in a given folder in the RTC server.

They would like to use RTC to store and keep track of the changes made from one release to another.
The only way I see it happening is through the creation of a new project area and the use of the source control feature. However they feel this is too much for what they need to do, and they are looking for a simpler way to achieve this.
As far as I know, RTC doesn't have any features to deal with version control for process templates and attribute costumization scripts. I checked RTC 6.0.3, but didn't find anything new in this space.
Any ideas? 
Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 31 '17, 9:41 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Normally, you would "export" the process template into the file system, and then check that in to the source control system of your choice (RTC SCM being one obvious choice).   This ensures that you capture all the data required to recreate the process template (the process XML is of course not sufficient).   You don't need to create a new project area for this ... but you would have to have an RTC component to hold the change sets.    When you say "this is too much" ... what exactly is the "too much"?   If they want data under source/version control, they pretty much have to use a source/version control system.

Andre Gusmao selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andre Gusmao commented Jun 01 '17, 10:42 a.m.

Hello Geoffrey. You described the control version process for the process template the same way I see it. However the customer considers this process to be too much complex. They feel that something simpler, like a way to save the version of the process template XML in the same screen as they edit it, without having to perform a Deliver operation to a Stream. That what I meant by "too much".
Anyway, thanks for your response. I just wanted to check if someone out there thought of a different approach for versioning process templates.

Donald Nong commented Jun 07 '17, 1:14 a.m.

If you develop the template in the same project area, RTC keeps the history of the process source (XML) anyway. You can just right-click in the Process Source tab and choose Show History. But other elements such as attachments (for example JavaScript files) are not kept.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.