It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Get URL for SCM folder that does not contain the Project Area name

Ana-Maria Rosu (388) | asked Nov 23 '21, 6:12 a.m.
edited Nov 23 '21, 6:16 a.m.

Hello everyone,

I need to get the URL for a SCM folder in order to link it as a Related Artifact to a workitem.
The only URL I could obtain was the one shown in the browser when opening that SCM folder, e.g.:

The problem is that this URL contains the Project Area name, which can cause some problems for us in the future. For example, if the name is changed, then the link would become invalid.

I tried to search for some kind of “shortened” link that contains only ids, but I did not succeed.

For workitems this is possible:-link with PA name: https://server:port/ccm/web/projects/Project_Area_Name#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=workitemId

Do you have any idea how could I obtain the link without the PA name in it?

Kind regards,

Ana R.

<o:p> </o:p>

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 23 '21, 7:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Several issues here. 

1. As far as I know, SCM folders are not under version control, only the changes to files are.  
  2. The Web Browser is not a full blown SCM client and you end up having UI URIs and not SCM URI's.
  3. In the Eclipse UI I was able to open the properties of a folder under version control. Right click in the package explorer select Properties and then select Jazz Source Control, where you find URIs that are not UI URI's.
I am not sure how far it would possible to implement what you want to do. I am not sure what is the business case that would require to do this or we have UI support for it. I know that there are possibilities to select the URIs for some of the objects, but there are some missing.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 23 '21, 2:06 p.m.

On (1), SCM folders are under version control.  They need to be created/moved/renamed/deleted in change sets, which need to be delivered, like changes to files.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 24 '21, 2:21 a.m.
Geoff, thanks for your feedback. I could be wrong, however:

I think I had attended a meeting last week where it was pointed out that the files are traced, not the folders. 

I have worked with the API and the folders are available as predecessor nodes in the path only, as far as I can recall. 

Empty folders are not recreated when under source control I had to create fake files that where under SCM to get the folder created.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 24 '21, 5:16 p.m.

You need to distinguish the root folder in a sandbox where a component is loaded from the folders inside a component.   The root folder where a component is loaded is not under version control.   All of the folders inside of a component are under version control.  So it is true that not all of the folders in a sandbox are under version control, but all folders in a component are under version control.   And in particular, if you have empty folders inside a component, and you load that component, all of those empty folders will be loaded in your sandbox (no need for fake files to get them loaded).

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 25 '21, 2:17 a.m.

Hi Geoff,

thanks for the clarification. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.