It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What data type is a work item? How to retrive it? How is it store?

Raheem Alhamdani (2816) | asked Mar 27 '17, 12:27 p.m.

My first question on the forum, I have an ambitious plan to add customized functions to the RTC/WBS planner.

Just started reading this article;

https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/working-with-work-item-attributes/

please if you more helpful resources point me to them. Thank you all.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Mar 27 '17, 5:23 p.m.

If you are using the java API, you don't need to put much concern on the details of what goes on under the covers in RTC.  

• Work Item is a collection of attributes ( fields if you will ), editor presentations and work flow.
  • Work Item types can be distinguished by their identifier ( or name Task, Defect, etc ). The name is usually an indicator of the intended meaning for the work item.  Task - something to do; Defect - something to fix.
  • Attributes have many "raw" data types ( integer, string, enumeration, etc )
  • The java API can be used to create or update work items.  
There is another article on Ralph's blog that you might want to also read/learn:  An RTC Work Item Command Line Client

Other good docs are the product documentation as well as numerous articles one can find under the Library menu above.

There are also behaviors that can be used with work items by simply configuring in the respective RTC project.  E.g.  Make sure all attributes are valid, Specifying required attributes for a given work item type

Raheem Alhamdani selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.