It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Data migration from clm on premises to CLM on cloud and vice versa

Dastan Ali (17616) | asked Mar 20 '17, 3:28 a.m.

I want to migrate data from CLM premises environment to CLM cloud environment for same version of CLM i.e. 6.0.3 and vice versa. Is there any reference material provided to perform this activity any pointers would be appreciated.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Steve Pendergrass (261) | answered Mar 23 '17, 9:38 a.m.

Hi, Dastan.

If you are using our IBM IoT CE hosted offerings, this is an add-on service performed by our operations team. Due to our responsibility for security, reliability and performance, we do not allow customers that level of access to the system.

If you are using some other hosted service, you would need to discuss this with your hosting service provider.

Dastan Ali selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dastan Ali commented Mar 24 '17, 1:32 a.m.

Hi Larry,

From your answer I believe that data migration from premises environment to cloud environment can only be done by IBM Operations team, same goes for vice versa i.e. migrating data from cloud environment to premises environment.
My actual interest is about customization of CLM on cloud. If data is moved to cloud, whether all the customization done on premises is preserved on cloud?
If data is moved to premises from cloud, whether all the customization done on cloud is preserved on premises?
What about extensions for RTC, if I want to deploy manually developed extensions I have go to installation directory and put files into Sites folder and provision profiles folder, what kind of support is provided by IBM if customer want to deploy manually developed extension of RTC on cloud?

Steve Pendergrass commented Mar 24 '17, 9:37 a.m.

Dastan,

All configuration customization performed within CLM such as for work items and process work flows are included in the migration export/import process. For migration from our cloud hosted service to another environment (e.g. on premises), our operations team would create a data export and provide access to the exported data for customer retrieval. The service does not include import into another environment. Server side plug-ins and java script are allowed. However, we require a technical review to assess risk to performance, security and reliability. Based on this assessment, we may require the customer to sign a waiver releasing IBM from issues caused by the plug-in(s). Our operations team will deploy the plug-ins to the appropriate location.

Dastan Ali commented Apr 11 '17, 3:16 a.m.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the valuable information. It clears many of my doubts

2 other answers

permanent link
Steve Pendergrass (261) | answered Mar 20 '17, 10:16 a.m.

There are two basic approaches for full data migration from one environment to another. One involves the use of the command line utility "repotools" export/import capability that comes with CLM. The other is to use the database server's export/import capability. The latter, of course, requires the use of the same database server in the cloud environment as it is on-premises. The latter also migrates the full data set, including the data warehouse. The former enables the migration of data between dissimilar database servers. However, the data warehouse is not included and must be rebuilt. In either case, consideration must be given to whether the cloud environment will re-use the system URL as the on-premises environment. If not, a server rename must be performed on the data subsequent to migration. This requires submitting a IBM Support request and carries the risk of introducing performance degradation on the existing data.

Refer to the following article on the migration process...https://jazz.net/library/content/docs/repo-migration/

Comments
Dastan Ali commented Mar 23 '17, 6:06 a.m.

Hi Larry,

Your answer is indeed useful in many ways, the link you posted in your answer discuss about data migration and backup, I was wondering how can i migrate data to clm on cloud. Question here is when you run repotools commands to export and import data you have to go to actual directory where server is installed and run the commands, I can do this for my local server but how do I import data into cloud CLM server as I don't have access to directories of cloud where CLM server is installed. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

permanent link
Erin O'Connor (46166) | answered Mar 23 '17, 10:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Here is some information about our standard IBM Collaborative Lifecycle Management on Cloud data import.  This import includes Rational DOORS Next Generation, Rational Quality Manager and Rational Team Concert, to the equivalent on Cloud offering.  Any database/store that is supported by repo tools, will be supported for the export/import from CLM.  Customers are responsible for performing the repo tools export, supported by our CLM operations team, and ensuring bandwidth is available to transfer the files to the Softlayer data center "over the wire".  Outages occur during the repo tools export and production import, and until we turn over the CLM on Cloud instance.  We expect this to be over a weekend.  The data warehouse will be rebuilt using the standard jobs. Customers are responsible for generating a file of users for import.

Reports are not exported/imported by the operations team.  JRS reports can be exported and imported by the customer, once the CLM on Cloud instance is up and turned over. Neither Rational Insight, nor any Cognos BI are supported.

Our standard data migration add-on includes one test import to confirm all data is successfully moved, and to determine the amount of time required for the production export/import.  Our standard pricing supports an import of CLM 5.0.2 or later, and a maximum of 300 GB database/storage.  If you are on an older version of CLM, you have more data, or additional import/exports are required, a SOW will be developed based on the situation.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.