It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: Instigate Naming Convention when creating components

Richard Good (872159) | asked Jan 19 '17, 1:35 p.m.

We have a naming convention where each component should be called

<Project Area Name>.<Team Area Name>.<Product being Created>.<Type>

eg

JKE-Banking.Systems-Analysis.BankTellingMachine.Dev

Ideally when creating a new component the Project Area Name and Team Area name would be resolved with the current details and the user would be left to fill in the Product being created and type parts in the component name field of the dialog as per our guidelines

Is it possible to do this, if so how?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 21 '17, 2:24 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that ideally most components would be re-useable across more than one project, so including the project area name and the team area name in the name of a component is normally not recommended, because it can cause confusion when that component is re-used in a different project.

2 answers

permanent link
Tiago Moura (8387) | answered Jan 19 '17, 2:20 p.m.

You can use a calculated value attribute to define a JS script that fill the component name with your template based on the workitem attributes.

Comments
Richard Good commented Jan 20 '17, 6:31 a.m. | edited Jan 20 '17, 6:31 a.m.

I'm not convinced that this will add text to the add component dialog whenever it is fired. Is that what you mean, or is this technique supposed to modify it dynamically, if so I don't think that is plausible or desirable, can you elaborate a bit more please...

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 20 '17, 7:27 a.m.

Assuming a component means a SCM component, I am fairly certain, that we can't do that. JavaScript is only available for work items. I am not aware of an extension point that could

1. Influence the component name when creating a new component
2. Prevent saving a component with a name that does not conform the schema.

Again, since the question leaves so much open I assume RTC SCM component. Adding How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers? if you want to improve.

Comments
Richard Good commented Jan 20 '17, 7:42 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

You seem to have go the gist of what I wanted to know, thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I suspected there was nothing to enforce my schema, but it was worth asking the question. You are right that a feature such as the one you outline in point 2 is much more likely to exist and easier for IBM to develop than auto filling the New Component box I had in mind. I would raise a feature request, but am a little busy, hopefully I will remember to in a couple of weeks. I didn't think my question was ambiguous, but you only have your own experience as a reference, mine will not be as deep as yours on the RTC front.  

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 20 '17, 7:49 a.m.

Hi Richard,

especially component is so overused in the industry, you never know 8).

Please file enhancement requests. I think we should have a lot more ways to enforce specific rules. This one has come up with other customers as well.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.