It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Flow Targets, Flow Direction, Current Flow and Default Flow

Hervé Le Bars (2325) | asked Dec 13 '16, 3:48 p.m.
edited Dec 15 '16, 11:42 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hello,

In the editor of a Repository Workspace, there is an area at the bottom labeled "Flow Targets". This area contains a table with four columns : Name, Flow Direction, Current Flow, Default Flow. In these table, my customer has added three Streams and is playing with various configurations of incomings and outgoings in the columns Flow Direction, Current Flow and Default Flow, without having a clear understanding of how it is supposed to work (I have a screen capture, but I can't post it because my reputation is < 60).

I have to explain how all these configurations works, but I haven't found detailed explanation.

Where can I find documentation on how all these configuration works, especially when several Streams are set with various incomings/outgoings in the various columns ?

Thanks for you help.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.3k27) | answered Dec 13 '16, 10:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Take a look at the following demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGV36rmKfoM

Flow direction:
Flow direction of a target indicates that we can either accept or deliver or do both from/to that target. For ex: if the direction is set to incoming it will act as an accept source. If the direction is set to outgoing it will act as a deliver target. If set to both it will act as an accept source and a deliver target.

Current Flow:
It is the current target where changes can be accepted or delivered to. If the current target is set to incoming then it will compute the state of the workspace with that of the target and will show only the incoming changes with respect to that target. If the current target set to outgoing then it will show only the outgoing changes with respect to that target.
By default, the pending changes view shows the changes with respect to the current flow target.

Default Flow:
When a default flow target is set to outgoing and is different from the current outgoing target, a warning message is displayed when the changes are delivered to the current flow target to indicate that the user is delivering to a non-default target.
Currently setting a target as a default incoming does no have any impact.

Hervé Le Bars selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Hervé Le Bars commented Dec 15 '16, 10:35 a.m. | edited Dec 15 '16, 11:44 p.m.

Thank you for this answer. The video and the explanation perfectly fit my needs.

Mallikarjuna Kandala commented May 22 '17, 7:12 p.m.

Hi Shasikant,

Thank you for the explanation.

Can you please confirm if the flow direction between streams works in same way ? i.e,
I have stream A, where I have defined the flow direction as "outgoing" to Flow Target : Stream B, so that I should be able to deliver from Stream A to Stream B. Now, Do I need to go to Stream B and define the flow direction as "incoming"  for flow target: Stream A, to be able to accept the change sets?
Also, do I need to go to Stream B and set the flow direction as "Outgoing" for the flow target : Stream A, in order to be able to deliver from Stream B to Stream A?

In such case, we will be able to flow change sets to and from both streams so in which context do we need to set both "incoming, outgoing" ?

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance!

Shashikant Padur commented May 24 '17, 3:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

>> Do I need to go to Stream B and define the flow direction as "incoming"  for flow target: Stream A, to be able to accept the change sets?

No, you do not need to set the flow target in StreamB. The flow target is setup for the source workspace/stream where you accept the change from and deliver the changes to.

>> Also, do I need to go to Stream B and set the flow direction as "Outgoing" for the flow target : Stream A, in order to be able to deliver from Stream B to Stream A?
No, if you are accepting the changes into StreamA and have setup the flow target for stream A such that StreamB is marked as incoming.
Yes, if you trying to deliver from StreamB to Stream A.
By the way, both the above operations are the same just that your operation source is different which is either StreamA or StreamB.

Mallikarjuna Kandala commented May 30 '17, 5:34 a.m.

So is it right to conclude that we need to define the flow targets in both streams A & B in this example.. to be able to see the "pending changes view" from any stream's point of view and eventually be able to do accept/deliver ?

Please let me know if you need further details.

Shashikant Padur commented May 30 '17, 11:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

That is correct... but from your example I believe you just need to setup Stream A's flow target as Stream B and you can accept changes or deliver changes to Stream B.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.