It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use RTC SCM offline?

Ilona Krammer (159447) | asked Dec 01 '16, 5:58 a.m.
To what extent is RTC SCM offline usable?

It's essentially again about the comparison between Git and RTC and that is one argument that I can't deny so far. I've found a few resources about offline use but only rather old things. And I can't seem to find information about anything being planned maybe in the future.

Can someone help me with this?

We are using RTC 6.0.2

Comments
Arun K Sriramaiah commented Dec 01 '16, 6:48 a.m.

Hi IIona,

Could you give an example for SCM offline <g class="gr_ gr_103 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="103" id="103"> usecase </g> ?

As per my understanding, the Repository workspace Sandbox loaded into your file system ( example : eclipse workspace ) is the offline SCM in RTC.

you can make the code changes locally in your filesystem ( loaded sandbox), where it doesn't need RTC login.

Let me know your perspective about RTC SCM offline <g class="gr_ gr_439 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="439" id="439"> usecase </g> .

Regards,
Arun.

Ilona Krammer commented Dec 01 '16, 6:52 a.m.

It should at least somehow compare with Git possibilities. In Git you can commit locally for example.

I would like to change the source code locally and group them into different change sets (possible changing one file several times putting those changes in different change sets). As soon as I am connected again, I can connect the change sets with work items and check them in and deliver them.

Obviously I'd love to have the whole history available locally as well which is the one forte of Git, but as far as I've read there's no such possibility in RTC:

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Dec 01 '16, 6:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Ilona,

you can basically change files in sandboxes that you have already loaded.
You will not see unresolved changes and the like unless you log into RTC. Once logged in, you can check in the unresolved changes and connect them to work items etc.

RTC does not store the whole SCM repository on the local disk. Only the versions of files that are loaded are available.  

Comments
Ilona Krammer commented Dec 01 '16, 6:49 a.m.

Am I able to group changes into different change sets offline?

We are changing and testing so much right now - unfortunately I do not have a working client at the moment to try that out.

I could connect the change sets with work items as soon as I am connected again - question is if I can prepare the change sets offline as well

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 01 '16, 7:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

While offline, you have no change sets. Change sets only exist in the server. Only after you connect back to the RTC server you have the ability to check the local unresolved changes back in.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.