It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

6.0.2 DNG Upgrade - How long did it take you?

June Boston (1943038) | asked Nov 18 '16, 11:34 a.m.

Hello,

General poll for those who have taken their large production installations through the upgrade from v5.x to v6.0.2 or v6.x in general:  How many hours did your DNG upgrade process take?  We freshly reindexed (a process that takes about 12 hours for us) and are ready to pull the button, but our simulation had it approach 24 hours before the simulation crashed for unrelated reasons.  We have a significant amount of module baselines that have to be converted to project baselines, several thousand at least.

We're using Oracle DB, and the DNG server is a 32gb / 8 core image.

Also, has anyone ever run a Jazz app upgrade without upgrading JTS first?  Say you want to start DNG on Friday morning, but leave the other apps up until Friday night, naturally only bringing upgraded DNG online after JTS is up.  I believe the initial steps of the upgrade process communicate with Jazz to do stuff to the friends relationship, even with -skipJTSVersionCheck, but I may be wrong and I'd love to know if we can just start DNG ahead of time to gain an extra 12 hours or so.

Comments
June Boston commented Nov 18 '16, 11:37 a.m.

Also our RM tablespace is ~39 gigs.

Arne Bister commented Nov 19 '16, 9:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

June,

customer of mine has bigger tablespaces, also running on Oracle with similary specs on server. AFAIK they successfully upgrade on a weekend but usually that is between two adjacent versions. Not sure how much overhead is added going all the way from 5.0.2 to 6.0.2 ... will add more once I get more details.

- Arne

2 answers

permanent link
June Boston (1943038) | answered Feb 01 '17, 7:24 p.m.

Lesson learned: updating DNG to 6.x from 5.x takes a long time because the conversion to project baselines involves using the project history to reconstruct the state of the entire project at that time.  The end result is that you get a bunch of project baselines and that's kind of neat, albeit they may have been taking at a random schedule because they were meant for individual modules.  The downside is, it takes a long time.  By the time this upgrade succeeded, it was ~5+ days for ~950 module baselines to be converted into project baselines.

If you have large projects with tons of module baselines and your process allows, I would suggest finding baselines taken on the same day that could probably be viewed from a single project baseline and deleting all but the latest one for that day.  The alternative is to pick a nice long holiday weekend.

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Feb 02 '17, 5:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 02 '17, 5:59 a.m.

Hi June,

There are several threads in this forum entry but I'll try and address them all.

Firstly, we wrote this to try and be a one stop shop for upgrade: Upgrade Must Read List

1) Time to upgrade is massively affected by 2 main points
a) The Xmx value within the repotools-rm file.  The default is 1500M, but this can be as much as half of your RAM. As you have 32GB RAM, you could easily afford to set this to 16384M.
This will also help speed up the index recreation (which can be scheduled for a few nights prior to upgrade, so as not to impact your times.
b) Ensure, especially as you're Oracle, that you run the tuning before and after the upgrade.
Ensure you run with updated Oracle statistics updated and cardinality patches applied for RDNG.  The RM 6.0 migration guide also highlights the importance of minimal latency to the database

Also just remembered that this'll be useful to you post-migration: RM 6.0 Sizing and Tuning

2) The use of ignoreJTSVersionCheck is expected to be when you're using a distributed server setup.  However, it is always expected that the JTS is at the same level of the highest application and upgraded first.  I cannot recommend it as I haven't ever experienced this, so hopefully you can gain significant improvements in times from step 1 and be good.

& finally...a link on Upgrade planning
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/UpgradePlanning

If you have more questions for part 2, it might be easier in a separate thread

Cheers,
Paul

Comments
June Boston commented Feb 03 '17, 6:18 p.m.

Yeah we did this quite a while ago and used all the practices you mentioned.  It still took many days, and I thought it would be worth noting that on the forums so that others can know what they may have to expect.  Your post outlines many important things to consider.

Our v6 tuning involved a lot more knob tweaking than the guide mentions, but it's a good start.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.