It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Duplicate module artifact (reuse artifacts in module + copy links) - then change link type in new module?

Adrian Haw (2741041) | asked Nov 03 '16, 6:54 a.m.
After duplicating a module (re-use artifacts and also copy links) I want to rename/move for all/selected artifacts in the new module the existing links from the link type used in the source module to another link type - how to achieve this?

eg: ModuleB has 50 artifacts all linked to artifacts in ModuleA using link type Validates. I duplicate ModuleB to ModuleC and copy links. Now ModuleC is also linked to ModuleA with all 50 artifacts still using link type Validates... but I want to change ModuleC->ModuleA links to be of type Verifies and keep ModuleB->ModuleA links to be of type Validates.

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Nov 06 '16, 7:46 p.m.
You basically asked how to bulk update links in RDNG, which I don't think is possible for the current releases. It should not matter how ModuleC comes into existence (either by duplicating or creating from scratch).

Your sample may be over-simplified. But if it is a true use case, will you consider using module links rather than artifact links? That is, instead of using Validates link for each of the 50 artifacts within the module, use a single Validates link from ModuleB to ModuleA.

Comments
Adrian Haw commented Nov 07 '16, 2:48 p.m.

Hi Donald
Maybe I misunderstood how module links work - is it the case that if I set up a module links relation between ModuleC and ModuleA this link type applies to all ModuleC to ModuleA artifact links, i.e. to all 50 artifacts in ModuleC linked to artifacts in ModuleA? If this is the case then that could be a solution.

Donald Nong commented Nov 07 '16, 5:53 p.m.

No it's not the case. The "module" and the "requirements" that it contains are basically two types of artifacts. If you really need every single requirement has a link to another requirement in the other module (container), I don't have a solution for that unfortunately.

Adrian Haw commented Nov 08 '16, 11:00 a.m.

OK, thanks for your reply. Looks like we need to get scripting.

permanent link
Hugh Lippincott (199) | answered Feb 22 '19, 9:47 a.m.

Adrian,

If you are formally reusing the artifacts from Module B in Module C, then they are the same artifacts.Check the UUIDs.
If you modify the artifacts in Module C, then those modifications happen to Module B as well.
Sounds like you want a Copy of those artifacts, not to Reuse; Then you can use the Copy Special abilility to link back to the source of the copy.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.