It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Execution Varibles or alternative for shifting step dates?

June Boston (1942538) | asked Oct 14 '16, 12:20 p.m.
retagged Oct 21 '16, 5:31 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hello, just hoping for any ideas on the best way to implement this.

Client has a bunch of manual test scripts that are run over the course of a long time; they have a value in them saying "Day 1", "Day 5" etc. Those virtual days may be a month apart or the same day. The real date values are set when the TCER are generated, and at times they may be updated (ie, all Day 10s were January 10th but halfway through testing we move them all to February 1st).

We're using RQM 5, about to be 6 in a month, solutions using v6 technology are fine.  I see there's a Manual Step custom attribute in the project config, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything or add options/new fields to each step in a manual test script. Execution variables seem to be the best idea here, though setting them uniformly is weird.  When I make a new execution variable in a test suite, then make a test case within that suite, then make a test script within that test case, I can't see any variables on the "Add execution variable" button menu in a test step.  If I run that test suite from a test plan, I can select to modify execution variable values, but the next page shows none existing.  I don't know if there would be a pro or con to making them project-level variables (they are used pretty universally, though they may have different values for different test plans).

I can add attributes to the TCERs but they aren't easily visible when running the test itself.

What I really want is to have some placeholder in test scripts, and when those scripts are run I can put a value in, ideally in bulk, and then possibly at a later time update this value for a group of selected test execution records.  It seems like execution variables are closest to this but I'm open to ideas or suggestions on how to use them effectively.

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Oct 16 '16, 11:36 p.m.
Hi, June

If you want to input your value during runtime, you can use manual script step Execution Variables and make sure 'Create Set Execution Variable Step' used inserting the execution variable so that you can manually add(replace) the value in the execution(http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_using_exec_var.html)
Another option you may consider is ' test data': http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/c_datapool_overview.html

thanks

Comments
June Boston commented Oct 17 '16, 5:16 p.m.

I considered test data, but that seems more for having to run the same script several times per run, each with different values.  My case is more "set a single value for all TCER at first, and possibly update later".

We could use the Set Exec Var steps, but they'd have to be shoehorned into the end of every manual test and default to their current value, then the TCERS in a suite are all told to flow values from each other.  It feels a little clunky.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.