It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How Jazz SCM Works in context of Storage?

Salman Shaikh (23412773) | asked Sep 19 '16, 7:42 a.m.
edited Sep 19 '16, 4:14 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
In Jazz SCM we have 3 layers.
1. Streams (Which contains the Code)
2. Repository Work space (Copy / Link of Stream Code) Here i want to now whether it creates link or copy code in one's repository Workspace.
3. Local SandBox (Which stores code on Local PC)

I need to know storage concept in the context of Streams and Repository Workspace Links?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 19 '16, 7:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The RTC SCM system stores change sets in the data base. The change sets are changes to one or more files in a component. The change sets are used to reconstruct the content to load. This data is stored in the CCM data base in blobs, potentially compressed. Only change sets and configuration information is stored in the DB.

Streams and repository workspaces contain component configurations that are used to recreate the contents of the components.

Comments
Salman Shaikh commented Sep 19 '16, 10:10 a.m.

I am talking about chage-sets. I know whole code and change sets are stored in DB.
So you mean to say like
Lets suppose i have 2 projects in stream
Test Project1 and Test Project2 and both projects are in the stream. whenever we modify it, it will just store change-set chnages and information in DB and will not take any space for repository work-spaces in DB. So the storage space will be increased according to change set content and changes.

Please correct me if i am wrong?

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 19 '16, 10:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Streams as well as repository workspaces are only small objects that contain a configuration information required to reconstruct the content. So a stream and a repository workspace is a cheap object. You don't require lots and lots of space in the data warehouse for creating them.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.