It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to add attachments and external links to execution result via REST API / RQMUrlUtility

Frank Lautenbach (312) | asked Jul 14 '16, 9:12 a.m.
Hi,

I can successfully create test execution result artifacts via RQMUrlUtlity PUT request and self-created XML (from scratch). I want to add a link to an external web-site to the execution result so I added according tags to the created xml (tried tags "attachment" and "contribution" with "href" attribute) but it is just ignored - when I review the result on the Web-GUI no links (attachments) show up in the Result Details section. However, when execution results are created via Commandline Adapter the same links do show up.

Can anybody tell what's I am doing wrong?

RQM version is 6.0.2

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Triantafelow (4513) | answered Jul 19 '16, 11:05 a.m.
OK, so this is what I have been able to figure out:

1. The attachment property is not the one you want to use.  The REST API will reject any links that are not actually attachments (i.e. links to QM's attachment service).

2. I was able to update the contribution attribute.  On a second read of the documentation I realized that the contribution attribute is not READ ONLY.  It was actually the "href" and "name" attributes of a contribution that are READ ONLY.  This means that after adding a contribution, you can't, for example, rename it.  Just keep in mind that "name" is also required.  I was able to add the below element to my execution result XML successfully.

<qm:contribution name="foobar" href="https://foobar.com/helloWorld"/>

3. Now some bad news.  The "contributor" property is not exposed in the web client's UI.  I'm not entirely clear on the details, but it looks like this property was added to execution result to facilitate an integration with RPT.  So, as I described above, you can add arbitrary links to an execution result, but you won't be able to see them in the web UI.

The only other option that I see is that you could put your links into the Result Details rich text section of the execution result.  If that won't work for you, then I think I'd go back to my original suggestion which is to open an enhancement detailing your use case for us to consider in a future release.
Frank Lautenbach selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Frank Lautenbach commented Jul 19 '16, 11:57 a.m.

Hi Michael,

thanks for your response. Yes, in the meantime I also came across this workaround adding hyperlinks to the Result Details section and this works fine for external links. However, still wondering how to link to attachments which I actually uploaded to RQM.
According to what you are saying "The REST API will reject any links that are not actually attachments (i.e. links to QM's attachment service)." I would assume adding attachment element to the XML will work provided that the link is valid? If so, this is probably what I did wrong - I will try again and will let you know. Thanks for now!

One other answer

permanent link
Michael Triantafelow (4513) | answered Jul 14 '16, 10:18 a.m.
Unfortunately, it looks like those two attributes are "read only" as documented here:

https://jazz.net/products/rational-quality-manager/api-doc-6.0.2/schemas/qm_xsd/elements/attachment_4.html
https://jazz.net/products/rational-quality-manager/api-doc-6.0.2/schemas/qm_xsd/elements/contribution.html

So, you aren't going to be able to change them.  If you need to be able to write these attributes you'll have to open an enhancement request with the details of your use case for us to consider.

Comments
Frank Lautenbach commented Jul 14 '16, 11:19 a.m.

Hi Michael,

thanks for the quick response!

So does this mean there is no way to add an attachment to an artifact (here: execution result) via the REST API? As I stated, it works through the CommandLine adapter for both uploaded attachments as well as links to external web-sites.

Michael Triantafelow commented Jul 14 '16, 12:40 p.m.

Good question.  I took a look at the code for the command-line adapter and it is using some private APIs to do those things.

That said, I also took a look at the execution result REST API code and despite what the documentation says, it looks to me like it should be possible to write to those attributes.  I'll need to look into this in more detail.  Stay tuned.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.