It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

More of a tip when moving jazz from one server to another on the same network

Cliff Sadler (62717) | asked Jul 06 '16, 3:08 p.m.

scenario:  Moving an existing jazz deployment from Windows server2008 to server2012

using DB2 on same server VM, no ability to stage offline server.

In this scenario, you basically backup and export your data from old_server to be reinstalled on new_server, after installation of products on new_server.  I made a big mistake of thinking the server name would not matter until you get to running setup for jazz, and importing data.  So, I installed a fresh DB2 10.1 server, and the jazz apps while the new server had a different temporary name than old_server.  We then took the old_server offline, and renamed the new_server to the correct fully qualified domain name.

Suddenly, DB2 would not start, and complained about not having enough RAM to execute db2start.  That is misleading.  What's really happening, is the local groups of DB2ADMN and DB2USERS are still looking for the new_server temporary name.  Hence a search finally found this tech note:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21966721

Followed this instruction, and life is good.  This should make it to the migrating and evolving wiki

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 07 '16, 2:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think we are looking for authors for the deployment wiki.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Jul 06 '16, 9:23 p.m.
Based on the reading, the issue that you experienced and resolved can be summarized as - after changing the machine name of a DB2 server, you may have to update the DB2_ADMINGROUP and DB2_USERSGROUP global registries. Jazz does not play a significant role in this issue. Also, an FQDN is separate from the machine name, where you usually change FQDN on the DNS server, and don't have to change the machine name at the same time. In fact, if you change the FQDN only but not the machine name, you should not experience this issue.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.