It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Multiple RTC server versions - client best practices?

Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | asked Aug 17 '09, 11:23 a.m.
When someone is accessing multiple RTC servers, running multiple versions (i.e. some still at 1.0.1.1, some moved to v2.0), what is the best practice for the clients? Many use the Eclipse client, I would assume that lower-level clients can be used with higher level servers but have been told that that is not the case. This implies that either all servers need to be upgraded at the same time (impractical) or those using the Eclipse client need to have two completely separate client installations (ugh). Are there other options or best practices?

Thanks.

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Aug 17 '09, 7:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When someone is accessing multiple RTC servers, running multiple versions (i.e. some still at 1.0.1.1, some moved to v2.0), what is the best practice for the clients? Many use the Eclipse client, I would assume that lower-level clients can be used with higher level servers but have been told that that is not the case. This implies that either all servers need to be upgraded at the same time (impractical) or those using the Eclipse client need to have two completely separate client installations (ugh). Are there other options or best practices?

Thanks.

Hi Kevin

You are correct that you have to have the same version level of client and server.

One option is that you could use the unzip versions of the clients so that they do not interfere with each other. An unzip client takes a few minutes to unzip. Then all you need to do is start up each client when you want to access the relevant server. If you do use Installation Manager, then one of the clients can be managed with IM, use unzip for the other clients.

anthony

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 18 '09, 5:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I had the same issue and Anthonys solution proposal worked perfect for me. We worked against several servers with different versions for some weeks.

I also had zipped versions of the 1.x and 2.0 Servers and build system on my own machine for demos and testing and that also worked great.

The only caveat with the zipped client versions is installing them into existing Eclipse based tools. I am not sure there is a description how to do that.

Ralph

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Aug 18 '09, 5:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
klzemanek wrote:
When someone is accessing multiple RTC servers, running multiple
versions (i.e. some still at 1.0.1.1, some moved to v2.0), what is
the best practice for the clients?

If you make heavy use of both 1.0.x and 2.0.x servers, especially if you
do SCM operations, then you need two Eclipse clients. I have had to do
that. It is not as nice as one client, but I didn't think it was a
problem. It didn't bother me at all. (This assumes that your computer
is powerful enough to run two instances of RTC at the same time. If you
have only 512MB of RAM, this would be a problem.)

If one of the servers is only lightly used, then you should consider
accessing that one primarily through the web. That way do don't have to
care what version of RTC the server is running.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.