It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we control the default filed against category field for the work item created within a plan view?

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Jun 23 '16, 4:03 a.m.
edited Jun 23 '16, 4:04 a.m.
Hi, team

There is a requirement to set a default filed against(category) for the work item created in a plan view and I know we can use Default Value
to set the category, this works when I create workitem from Web client > Work item > task (or other type).
But when I tried to create a new work item within a plan, the default category is not set as expected(not the one we set for new work item)(tested with 5.0.2 and 6.0.1)

I see the post here discussing on the similar thing:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/128035/default-filed-against-category-field-for-work-items-created-within-a-plan

Is there any way to control the default category value in the work item created within a plan view?

Thanks

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 23 '16, 9:43 a.m. | edited Jul 01 '16, 1:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that the primary purpose of the algorithm that assigns a default value to a work item in a plan view is to pick a value that will leave that work item in the plan within which you created it.   Otherwise, when you refresh the plan view, the work item you created would disappear from the view.  

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 23 '16, 9:57 a.m. | edited Jul 01 '16, 1:07 a.m.

Geoff, you can use subcategories and even group by them in the plan. We use this e.g. to use the filed against in the RTC development and to provide a lot more detailed information about the problem area.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 24 '16, 1:02 a.m.

In the hands of RTC experts, I agree that sub-categories can be added without harming the primary purpose of automatically mapping a work item to the responsible team area.  But in my experience, unless your primary focus is defining categories which are understandable by the work item creators and which automatically map to the responsible team, you end up with a poor set of categories.

Don Yang commented Jun 24 '16, 1:26 a.m.

Thanks Geoff.
The use case is that the user maps multiple sub categories to one team area, and they notice whenever they create the workitem within a plan view(scope to that mapped team area), it will always go to the last category(this is in v6.0.2 they use). I see similar behavior here. They want to know if there is any way they can actually set a default category so that they can be used by default for the work items created in plan view in this case. As per the info from Ralph, this does not seem to be possible.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jun 30 '16, 2:37 a.m.
Hi, Ralph, Geoff

I found something interesting from 6.0.1 new features:
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/6.0.1?p=news
Default categories

You can now specify a work item category to be used as a default for a particular team area when creating items in plans. You can configure this option on the categories page of the project area editor. New items that are created for plans in the corresponding team area will have their Filed Against value set to this. In Quick Planner, if a team area is selected, this property also applies to items that are created by using quick create.

I did not realize the 'Use As Default' column is there when I tested it in v6.0.1.

I tried in 6.0.2 now and see the below

Before I set the default category, the work items created within the plan(scoped to Team1) will take Category 'test team' all the time(what the end users see as well). Now I set 'develop team' as default and the workitems created in plan view will set develop team as filed against value. I think this feature works now in the latest version. Can you please confirm if that is the case?
Thanks
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 30 '16, 2:56 a.m. | edited Jun 30 '16, 3:16 a.m.

Nice catch! If it is documented in the news and noteworthy, I would assume it is supposed to work.

Lukas Steiger commented May 27 '19, 8:35 a.m.

One can tick 'Use as Default' for all categories (or at least multiple team per assigned team). Is there a good reason for not restricting it? What is the behavior in case of where multiple are ticked?

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 23 '16, 4:49 a.m.
From: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=303341

The category is assigned depending on the plan owner. The algorithm picks the category which is:

1) Closest to the root
2) Assigned to the owner (team area)

In the case when there is no category assigned to the process area, the algorithm picks one from the whole hierarchy. The algorithm never picks the unassigned category.

I have no reason to believe this has changed. I would suggest to open an enhancement request if you think a different behavior makes sense.

Comments
Don Yang commented Jun 23 '16, 9:38 p.m.

Thanks Geoff and Ralph for the info and discussions.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.