It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent the owner of the test case to approve their own test case ?

Joao Carusi (263114) | asked Apr 28 '16, 3:49 p.m.

I would like to know if there is an specific solution where the test case owner cannot approve their own TC but they can approve someone else Test Case.

I added a Require Review precondition on Save Test Case to require 1 approver from a certain role and the only way to prevent owner from approving is to ensure they do not have that role.

Is there a better way to  do that?

Thank you

Comments
Brett Bohnn commented Apr 29 '16, 3:54 p.m. | edited Apr 29 '16, 3:55 p.m.

Hi Don,

Can you send a screen shot that shows "Set up a Test Artifact Approval Tracking for the Test Case workflow so that an Approved Approval uses the Approve action to move the workflow state from Under Review to Approved?"

Thanks,
Brett

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 28 '16, 11:38 p.m.
If you want peer-approval, the said approach does not work well, because there has to be an "approver" role, which is different from the test case owner's role. I have come up with this idea, and only you can decide whether it's "better". I assume the testers who create test cases and approve the test cases have the same role (peer approval), let's say the role is just "Testers".
1. Modify the Require Review precondition so that the approval requires at least _two_ approvers from the Testers role.
2. Revoke the permission Quality Management > Save Test Cases > Trigger a workflow action > Approve from the role "Testers".
3. Set up a Test Artifact Approval Tracking for the Test Case workflow so that an Approved Approval uses the Approve action to move the workflow state from Under Review to Approved.

And that's it. Step 3 will automatically change any test cases with an approved approval to the Approved state. Step 2 is to prevent Testers from moving test cases to the Approved state directly. Step 1 is to prevent the Testers from setting himself to the Approval and subsequently approve the approval (in order to approve the test case indirectly).

You can give the permission to other roles to directly move the test case state to Approved, if required.
Joao Carusi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Brett Bohnn commented Apr 29 '16, 3:56 p.m. | edited Apr 29 '16, 4:10 p.m.

Hi Don,

Can you send a screen shot that shows "Set up a Test Artifact Approval Tracking for the Test Case workflow so that an Approved Approval uses the Approve action to move the workflow state from Under Review to Approved?"

I think this is the approval tracking:

Thanks,
Brett

Donald Nong commented May 02 '16, 12:12 a.m.

Hi Brett, I think you've figured it out, right? Your screenshot shows exactly what I meant to use.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.