It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Suggestion for CLM 601 iFix003 (and future) readme files

Erich Wolz (1622711) | asked Mar 18 '16, 12:29 p.m.
The iFix003 readme.txt file states, among other things, the following:

Run repotools-<app> -clean for each application that is installed to clear the repotools cache.
Note: This will also display the help output. For instance:
   - repotools-jts -clean
   - repotools-ccm -clean
   - repotools-qm -clean
   - repotools-rm -clean

Since pretty much everyone is conditioned to think he/she has done something wrong when seeing a usage statement (particularly one that goes on for pages!) after entering a command, I would suggest changing the instructions to read:

Run repotools-<app> -clean -version for each application that is installed to clear the repotools cache.
For instance:
   - repotools-jts -clean -version
   - repotools-ccm -clean -version
   - repotools-qm -clean -version
   - repotools-rm -clean -version

For one thing, this will dramatically shorten the command output :-)  For another, this will also give a visual cue that the patch one is trying to apply is active or not.

That said, what does the below "null" string refer to?

# ./repotools-jts.sh -clean -version
Repo Tools
Provisioning using "./conf/jts/provision_profiles".
  Global patch active at /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer/server/patch/CLM_server_patch_6.0.1.0-CALM601M-I20160225-2211.zip: "null"
  Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries, Version 6.0.1 (RJF-I20151106-1823)

To submit questions about issues, go to the Jazz.net forum at https://jazz.net/forum.
 To find more information about a message, see the online product documentation.
CRJAZ1363I Loading the configuration from "file:conf/jts/teamserver.properties".

2 answers

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Mar 18 '16, 1:05 p.m.
edited Mar 18 '16, 1:11 p.m.
this has already been taken care of for the readmes.
6.0 iFix readme template updates (381194)
It should now explain it will run the help command as default when you use -clean option,

About the null its missing the patch server version its built on top of. You can open a jazz.net defect for that.

Comments
Zeeshan Choudhry commented Mar 18 '16, 1:16 p.m.

This was the update:

Note: For a distributed CLM deployment, complete the same steps on each server. Also, the "-clean" parameter is the OSGI framework command which runs repotools with the default argument "help". The output is captured in the reptools-<app>_help.log which resides in the <JazzInstallDir>/server/ directory where reptools-<app>.bat resides

Erich Wolz commented Mar 18 '16, 1:33 p.m.

> It should now explain it will run the help command as default when you use -clean option

Yes, I know that the readme already explains that the help output is displayed by default when the "-clean" option is used.

My point was, pretty much the entire world is conditioned to look for a syntax error (e.g. a missing '-' in front of an argument) in the command they just typed, after running a command and seeing any sort of "help" or "usage" output.

My suggestion was to change the instructions to have users run "repotools-<app> -clean -version" instead of simply "repotools-<app> -clean" so as to not get 550+ lines of help output.  The 10 or so lines of output from the above "repotools-jts.sh -clean -version" command is a lot more readable -- and useful.

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Mar 21 '16, 4:09 a.m.
we need to re-provision the reptools command without running any arguments against it. Thats why its using only -clean and code defaults it to running help. You can open a jazz.net defect so we can verify if the above is risk free and can be achieved without any complications or side effect.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.