It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What can cause IO Exception (java.net.SocketException) in RPE?

Robert Huet (23112884) | asked Mar 15 '16, 9:59 p.m.
 I have an RPE report that has been running perfectly for a few months but suddenly started failing.  When I run it in the RPE Launcher, the console shows an IO Exception / SocketException and resets the connection.  The rpe.log shows no errors.

The underlying REST API query returns data from the Browser, but causes the above error when run from RPE.  The only difference from when the report was working and started failing is the volume of data being returned.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert
Exception from RPE Console.

3 answers

permanent link
xiao xing lu (613) | answered Mar 15 '16, 11:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The user may not be a member of the RM project or it was removed from the project. If so, try to add it into that RM project. You'd better go through rm.log and rpe.log for the detail.

Comments
Robert Huet commented Mar 16 '16, 7:14 a.m.

Unfortunately, nothing in the rm or rpe logs.

This issue has to do with volume of data being returned by the REST API.  The driving REST query is pulling from a view of modules.   If I add an additional filter to reduce the number of modules in the view, everything works.  Also, I believe the report stopped working because the volume of data returned by the view grew over time.

However, it is not a ridiculous amount of data coming back (197 modules), and the REST query will return the data to the browser.  It only seems to break in RPE.

permanent link
Robert Huet (23112884) | answered Mar 16 '16, 1:08 p.m.
 I found a way to get the report to run in RPE by using the "size=" parameter.  Apparently, the default of 100 artifacts per REST call was too much for RPE and RRDG to handle when returning information on modules.  We will have to adjust the default count in the RM advanced properties to get this to work on the server.

permanent link
Robert Huet (23112884) | answered Mar 16 '16, 1:11 p.m.
 BTW - The better fix would be to use JRS as a data source, which would allow us to better control how much data is being sent to RPE, but JRS does not return artifacts with format of "module".  I put in an enhancement request for that last year which is being targeted for 6.0.2.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.