It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Making timeline useable just for the team area associated with it

George Deak (114) | asked Mar 11 '16, 2:46 a.m.
edited Mar 11 '16, 2:53 a.m.
I have a question about access rights when there are multiple timelines.
Lets say Team A is associated with Timeline A, and Team B with Timeline B.
Is it possible to make contents of a Timeline (eg timeline A) only available for viewing/editing by a Team (eg team A)?

It's possible to edit the Permissions of each timeline, then users within have limitations for the type of action they take.
Although, is it possible to control the permissions for users from teams using different timelines?

That is, to make each team focus on the timeline they belong to.
Going with the example above, can it be possible to hide Timeline A from Team B? Or to restrict actions such as save content?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 11 '16, 3:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is possible to tie permissions and operational behavior to iterations in a timeline. This is a specific use case that RTC is supposed to support.

See

https://jazz.net/library/article/292
https://jazz.net/library/article/291

For more details.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 11 '16, 4:56 a.m.
You can make write-access timeline dependent, but you cannot make read-access timeline dependent.   So you cannot, for example, hide a subset of timelines in a given project from some users.

Comments
George Deak commented Mar 13 '16, 10:19 p.m.

Thank you for the answer Geoffrey.
If I follow your wordsm would I edit the permissions from the Project Area screen and set permissions dependent on timelines?
I tried this and can change permissions according to roles, either default or team member.
I set different permissions for each of these 2 roles, but this didn't create the situation where, Team A members could edit Timeline A but Team B members couldn't edit Timeline A. Every member was still able to edit all timelines.

Have I done something wrong or are you talking about a different way of making write-access timeline dependent?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 14 '16, 2:13 a.m. | edited Mar 14 '16, 2:14 a.m.

The ability to edit timelines is part of the "write project area" permission, and so you cannot currently control who can edit the timeline separately from who can edit anything about the project area.  What specific permissions were you modifying when you tried to change permissions?

George Deak commented Mar 17 '16, 11:20 p.m.

Since we have clarified that we cannot set permissions for viewing content in the timeline, I was wondering if the permission to edit, such as work items, could be modified

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 18 '16, 1:48 a.m.

Which has already been answered with yes, see

https://jazz.net/library/article/292
https://jazz.net/library/article/291

permanent link
Nate Decker (37814261) | answered Mar 14 '16, 4:38 p.m.
edited Mar 14 '16, 4:40 p.m.

When someone starts talking about restricting access, the first thing that comes to mind for me is the feature that allows you to configure which work item categories can be accessed by which teams. Are you aware of this feature?

When configuring work item categories, there is an option to restrict access to a given category to only that team associated with that category. So if you have Team A and Team B, you could prevent Team B from seeing Team A's work by ensuring that all of the categories used by Team A (those categories with which Team A is associated) have the "Restrict Work Item Access" setting enabled.

You don't really need to do anything with timelines. Would this approach be sufficient?

Comments
George Deak commented Mar 17 '16, 11:29 p.m.

Hi Nate, yes I am aware of this feature and was thinking it as being the best workaround in case we cannot get the exact behaviour we aim for

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.