It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Purpose of the different Data Warehouse users

Luca Martinucci (1.0k294112) | asked Mar 10 '16, 6:13 a.m.
edited Mar 10 '16, 7:49 a.m. by Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12)
I need a clarification about the function of the different users that must be provided when configuring the Data Warehouse.
In the jts/setup page for the DWH, I must provide 3 different users:

1. a JDBC (database) user;
  2. a Custom Report Database user;
  3. a data collection user;
I am a bit confused, as the CLM is not very clear on this issue.
In particular, I need to know:
  • which are LDAP users and which are not?
  • which are CLM users and which are not?
  • which users need a CLM license, and which license?
  • is the Custom Report Database user needed only if I use RRDI)? If I use JRS, do I need it?
My CLM version is 5.0.2.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Mar 10 '16, 8:46 a.m.
Hi Luca,
  • JDBC and Custom Report Database User are the users defined in your database. They are created during creating CLM databases. JDBC user is the user having more permissions. It is used during database creation and upgrades. Custom Report Database User has the one with less permissions and is used in reporting solutions to avoid, due to security reasons, using database administrator. You can use it in both RRDI and JRS.

• Data Collection User is a functional user. It is created during a setup. He does not need to be in ldap and the license should be automatically generated during a setup.
I think that using Interactive Installation Guide may help you in configuring the server correctly and assign correct permissions.

Please let me know if that helped.
Luca Martinucci selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Luca Martinucci commented Mar 10 '16, 11:19 a.m.

So, summarizing:

• JDBC is used during the initial setup of the DWH data source; it formats the DWH database and creates the tablespaces;
  • Custom Reports Database User is used by RRDI and JRS to read and write in the DWH data source;
  • Data collection users is used by ETL (and DCC also?) to collect data from the CLM databases and write them in the DWH data source
Is it correct?
Thanks.

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Mar 10 '16, 11:36 a.m.

Hi Luca,
Yes, that is correct.

Luca Martinucci commented Mar 11 '16, 4:57 a.m.

Thanks for the information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.