It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to keep file's update history and annotations when copy RTC project files

kelly hu (21215) | asked Feb 24 '16, 10:35 p.m.
Hi RTC admins,
From RTC SCM, I can find RTC project files' history and annotation which make me easily find who/when/what reasons that we change the code. Currently I want to copy some project files to start a new version development, my question is - can we keep all previous files' history and annotation in the new version project files? Does RTC support this function?
Thanks for your guidance and feedback.
Kelly

Comments
Arun K Sriramaiah commented Feb 25 '16, 3:08 a.m.

Hi Kelly,

Please find the link below and let me know does it helps.

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/117643/how-to-exportimport-source-code-history-from-one-rtc-instance-to-another

Regards,
Arun.

kelly hu commented Feb 25 '16, 4:03 a.m.

Hi Arun,
Thanks for the feedback, we have tried duplicate stream function and found it difficult to maintain so many streams with multiple components, and our aim is to copy some component under the same stream, does RTC support copy component function ?
thanks.

Arun K Sriramaiah commented Feb 25 '16, 4:45 a.m.

Could you please let us know from where to where you are copying the components with in the RTC.

If RTC is source == Which is the target server ? and how are trying to copy now.

kelly hu commented Feb 25 '16, 4:56 a.m.

We just want to copy one component underĀ  the same stream and repository, then use the new component as a new version, no need to copy component from another server/repository, do you have any suggestions? thanks a lot.

2 answers

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13177) | answered Feb 25 '16, 5:28 a.m.
Hi Kelly,

Please try with move in repository option and find the link below and let us know does it helps.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21673644

Regards,
Arun.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 26 '16, 5:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are very, very few circumstances where it is a good idea to "copy" a component.
Please describe in detail the problem you are trying to address, and we can provide a recommendation (and it is very unlikely that recommendation will involve copying the component :-).

There are cases where there are a set of files that you want to move to another component, and for those cases you would use the "move in repository" function mentioned by Arun, but you would not use that function to "copy" a component.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.