It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Having different view for different backlog

Benjamin Chauviere (37128) | asked Feb 23 '16, 3:10 a.m.
Hello,

I was surprised when I created a 2nd Product Backlog plan pointing on a different timeline,
1. All the views created from the 1st plan are copied.Then I wanted to remove one view from the new PB and it deleted the views from the other PB, the same when you create a new view, the new view is also created in the other Backlog plan.

2. I see that it is also the case for details, for ex the customization of the view, within a view (e.g Ranked List) you cannot display ID-Story Points-Owner and in the other backlog for the Ranked List view ID-Owner-Priority
Both look working symmetric

Do you confirm this illogical behavior ?
(knowing that in one plan we would like to manipulate Stories + a Scrum board and display stories info in the Ranked List view and on the other one we manipulate tasks + Kanban flow and not to display story points in the Ranked list view since it does not need for task)

If there is a better way for doing it, feel free to give me your recommendations,
Thank you

One answer

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94686986) | answered Feb 23 '16, 3:25 a.m.
edited Feb 23 '16, 3:28 a.m.
Hello Benjamin

Looks about correct. There is probably some doc about that but no clue where
It's a very nice feature, specially for sprint plan. You do not want to create the view again and again at each sprint.

How does it work?! The Views belong to a Owner-PlanType pair. 

e.g. All plan created for Team A as Sprint backlog will have the same views. But not the same a the one created for Team B.
In your case two plan for the same owner of kind ProductBacklog will have the same views. Independently what iteration you are looking at.

Hope I was clear enough :-)

I do not understand your use case fully. But in the first glance it looks like different views you need to create
But think also about the different Type of plan, you've 3 of them

erwin

Comments
Benjamin Chauviere commented Feb 23 '16, 3:36 a.m.

Thank you Erwin for first elements of response.
My use case, We created a Product backlog (PB) for a product and in the Ranked list view we want to display the following parameters Summary, ID, Owners.
Later we had a new project, so we create a new Product Backlog, but in the Ranked List view, we want to display different parameters, for example Summary, ID, Story points

And we this symmetric running, when we add Story points in the view we get it in the other PB.

Do I have to create a new team for this new project in order to get different customizable view within the new PB ?

Erwin Kunz commented Feb 23 '16, 4:28 a.m.

I do not see why you need different views for different Projects?

I use to have one plan PB when struggling with the Product backlog
Than one plan RB per project for planning each single project
And finally several plans SB per sprint/project for planning and tracking the sprint

For each of the Plan Type I've the same views. Because each of the Plan has a defined purpose. It happen that I've two e.g. "Rank" views for one Plan Type RankFlat & RankPrio

So again, step back. Think about the workflow of your work to do. Use the 3 plan types as intended  and if you still get to need two different sighting for the same workflow, create two views

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.