It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you redeploy JTS and RTC on Liberty Profile?

Robert Carter (42928589) | asked Feb 10 '16, 4:43 p.m.
 I see this URL Configuring the Public URI which states that you can delete the jts_war and rtc_war files and the server will redeploy.  So, could i simply delete the jts.war and rtc.war located in <<server_directory>>/server/liberty/app/ directory and it would redeploy the jts.war.zip and rtc.war.zip files?

3 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 10 '16, 7:07 p.m.
The steps that you referred to are for Tomcat, not WebSphere Liberty. For Liberty, you would need to do the following (using CCM as an example).
1. Remove the ccm.war folder.
2. Create a new ccm.war folder.
3. Unzip the contents in ccm.war.zip into folder ccm.war. Make sure that folders META-INF and WEB-INF are directly in the folder, not some levels down.
4. Start Liberty.

You can check the file server/liberty/servers/clm/conf/application.xml to see why it is required as such.

P.S. You can also copy ccm.war.zip to ccm.war (as a file), and Liberty will unpack the .war file when starting up - it seems to do this every time Liberty starts up. I don't know in full details what may act differently between the two deployment methods.

Comments
Robert Carter commented Feb 11 '16, 6:23 a.m. | edited Feb 11 '16, 6:27 a.m.

I tried both methods.

1. create a new directory jts.war and extract jts.war.zip into the new directory. Restart Liberty.
2. copy jts.war.zip to jts.war and restart Liberty.

Both instances the /jts/ application was not redeployed.  /jts context does not exist when I go to https://server/jts/admin.
[AUDIT   ] CWWKT0016I: Web application available (default_host): http://10.0.0.200:80/ccm/

I don't see a line for /jts  I have checked the application.xml. BTW this started happening after I did Patch Tuesday (Windows Patches) on our server.

This error makes sense since /jts is not loaded
2016-02-11 06:20:25,682 [    Default Executor-thread-43] ERROR ompatibility.internal.JtsConfigurationStateService  - CRJAZ2679E The JTS version could not be determined because the
JTS rootservices document at "https://jazz.abs-consulting.com/jts/rootservices" could not be fetched or does not have an about services URI.

Robert Carter commented Feb 11 '16, 6:23 a.m.

I noticed two error in the logs

[ERROR   ] CWWKE0701E: [com.ibm.ws.kernel.filemonitor.internal.scan.ScanningCoreServiceImpl(23)] The setMonitor method has thrown an exception Bundle:com.ibm.ws
.kernel.filemonitor(id=17) java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
        at com.ibm.ws.artifact.overlay.internal.DirectoryBasedOverlayContainerImpl.setOverlayDirectory(DirectoryBasedOverlayContainerImpl.java:1188)
        at [internal classes]

[ERROR   ] CWWKE0701E: [com.ibm.ws.kernel.filemonitor.internal.scan.ScanningCoreServiceImpl(23)] The setMonitor method has thrown an exception Bundle:com.ibm.ws
.kernel.filemonitor(id=17) java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
        at com.ibm.ws.artifact.overlay.internal.DirectoryBasedOverlayContainerImpl.setOverlayDirectory(DirectoryBasedOverlayContainerImpl.java:1188)
        at [internal classes]

Donald Nong commented Feb 11 '16, 6:46 p.m. | edited Feb 11 '16, 6:47 p.m.

If you cannot see the entry of "jts" in the application.xml file, it has been accidentally overwritten, or you have not deployed JTS to that Liberty profile before. You need to add the entry manually.
    < application id="jts" location="${server.config.dir}/apps/jts.war" name="jts" type="war" >
        < application-bnd >
            < security-role name="JazzAdmins" >
                < group name="JazzAdmins"/ >
            < /security-role >
            < security-role name="JazzProjectAdmins" >
                < group name="JazzProjectAdmins"/ >
            < /security-role >
            < security-role name="JazzUsers" >
                < group name="JazzUsers"/ >
            < /security-role >
            < security-role name="JazzGuests" >
                < group name="JazzGuests"/ >
            < /security-role >
        < /application-bnd >
    < /application >

You can find a copy of the default application.xml under server/liberty/clmServerTemplate/conf.

P.S. The steps in my original answer only apply to the situation where the application (JTS/CCM) was running on the Liberty profile before, otherwise it should not be called "redeploy".

permanent link
Robert Carter (42928589) | answered Feb 11 '16, 8:53 a.m.
 I found this IBM Support Article.  While not the same application, it did present the same symptoms and after I deleted the workarea directory located, C:<<server_directory>>\server\liberty\servers\clm,  it redeployed.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Feb 11 '16, 6:39 p.m.

This way, you redeploy the entire Liberty profile, not just the selected applications.

permanent link
Cliff Sadler (62616) | answered Feb 11 '16, 10:00 a.m.

I had the same problem with installing /rm to an existing installation. I found that Liberty is not copying over the war file and directory from the liberty template directory.

stop your server, go to .../server/liberty/clmserverTemplate/apps copy the dm.war.zip AND the dm.war directory over to: .../server/liberty/servers/clm/apps now restart your server and login to jts/admin you should now be able to run setup to configure /rm and register it. NOTE if you are using an enterprise database (DB), you have to set up the database first, so you can enter its configuration parameters during setup.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.