It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to show a forecast of the team planning across iterations

Vicky Pagnaer (63229) | asked Jan 06 '16, 5:30 a.m.
When  I make a plan, I can group by team member and see how much they are "loaded" for the chosen iteration. Is there somewhere you can see a forecast of how much work is planned for a team (or team member) across all iterations?

I would like to know (if all my estimates are filled in and the work items are assigned) when a team member will be available for a new task.

The team capacity report is default available, but only shows the available hours per day (not whether they are planned or not)
The accumulated time column in the plan views would be ideal, except that I can only make a plan for 1 iteration, not across all iterations.

Comments
Vicky Pagnaer commented Jan 06 '16, 6:02 a.m.

Product info: RTC web version 5.0.1

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8281269) | answered Jan 06 '16, 7:43 a.m.
 Hello,

Just for clarification. How are your timelines and plans set up? I often find that people have set up their timelines like:

Main Development
->Sprint 1
->Sprint 2

They then create their plans on the Sprint iterations. What they should have done is something like:

Main Development
->Release 1.0
-->Sprint 1
-->Sprint 2

This way, they can create a Plan for Release and see all of the work for all iterations for Release 1.0, And they can also create smaller plans for each Sprint and track that way too...
Vicky Pagnaer selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Vicky Pagnaer commented Jan 06 '16, 9:24 a.m.

Hi Sterling, thanks for your response.

We have a timeline with both release and sprint iterations. However, we release every 6-8 weeks and our sprints are 1 week long. For forecasting the workload of our team, this is a very short period. I would like to see the workload across multiple releases (for example: the next year or the next two quarters).

Vicky Pagnaer commented Jan 06 '16, 10:11 a.m.

Would you recommend adding another level above the releases? Like:

- Releases 2016
   - Release 1.0
      - Sprint 1

Can I make a Release Plan that gets data from 3 levels?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 06 '16, 9:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, and yes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.