It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What are the steps for developing a custom workflow in CLM to enforce attributes based on conditions?

Louis Tadman (131) | asked Dec 30 '15, 3:24 p.m.

Hi All,

We are running IBM CLM version 5.0.0 and I have been tasked with developing a custom defect workflow that looks that the value of 2 custom fields and if the values of those 2 fields match specific values then a 3rd field will become required. I am an expert HP ALM admin / user and this task would be simple to complete in HP ALM but I'm having difficulties figuring out the exact process in CLM.

Through my research I have found some resources which point me in the right direction but I'm still having gaps in my understanding of the actual steps I need to take.

Resource Links:

Im sure these tasks would be simple for an experienced CLM administrator however I'm having trouble finding the end to end steps to complete this process.

My Questions:

• In order to develop custom workflow scripts do I need to install eclipse and use an eclipse client?
  • If I do need to run eclipse and the eclipse client where do I find the versions and setup directions?
  • Is there any configuration that needs to happen on the CLM Jazz server?
  • From my research I've seen JavaScript as what looks to be the language on a few scripts, is there a workflow developers guide?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 01 '16, 10:16 a.m.
edited Jan 04 '16, 10:21 a.m.
your questions

• In order to develop custom workflow scripts do I need to install eclipse and use an eclipse client?
yes, this part of the workflow admin is not yet available thru the web
the workflow part is (which state goes to what state (transitions), but the creation of the scripts is not on the web yet
  • If I do need to run eclipse and the eclipse client where do I find the versions and setup directions?

go to the jazz.net products/download section for the release you want, select All Downloads to get to the page with the Eclipse zip bundles, download and unzip.

• Is there any configuration that needs to happen on the CLM Jazz server?

yes, the project config on the server, accessed thru the eclipse client, will need to configure the required attributes on condition, and maybe on state.. (this for each project, and a good reason to use project process sharing to help minimize the work).

• From my research I've seen JavaScript as what looks to be the language on a few scripts, is there a workflow developers guide?

see https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_defining_state_transitions.html&scope=null

but the javascript is a very small part of this.. the script(s) just return true/false, and the advisor config uses the output of the scripts to decide what to do.
Louis Tadman selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Louis Tadman commented Jan 04 '16, 10:06 a.m.

Thank you for this information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.