It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible that resolution value of the work item previously selected on the current state remains in the new state

Glenn N (11116) | asked Dec 14 '15, 2:49 p.m.
edited Dec 14 '15, 2:50 p.m.
 Is it possible that resolution value previously selected on the current state remains in the new state? It seems that resolution becomes blank after transition between two states. 

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | answered Dec 14 '15, 3:00 p.m.
This will depend on the work flow definition for the work item type.   Not every status will display a resolution, nor will every status with some resolution have all/same resolutions as other status values.   I would expect resolution to remain only if:

• Both before and after status have some set of resolutions available
  • The current resolution is common to both status values

Comments
Glenn N commented Dec 14 '15, 3:11 p.m.

Hi Kevin

The resolution is common on both status values. What happens is when I changed from Status A , to Status B the resolution becomes blank replacing the resolution set in Status A . You have to choose again the resolution. 

sam detweiler commented Dec 14 '15, 3:45 p.m.

this is probably a best practice. As the resolution depends on the state, when the state changes(even to the same), the UI clears the dependent value.
(we need this same behavior on dependent enums)

Glenn N commented Mar 15 '16, 3:30 p.m.

Thanks sam

Sara Willett commented Jan 31 '17, 5:27 p.m.

I agree this is an issue.  We actually opened a PMR for this and were told it was fixed in 6.0.2 but we are still seeing the same behavior.  The resolution value blanks out and forces a user to choose a new value.  Unless the user is careful to note the value before the state change (or review the history) this can cause inconsistent data.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.