It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can rtc identify/suggest a workitem number while doing checkin/deliver?

Daniel Adam (111) | asked Dec 11 '15, 9:44 a.m.
Hi,
our scripts that we keep in SCM have workitem number included in their file name (e.g script1_12345.sql). Whenever we do checkin/deliver, we have to type that work item# to relate the changeset to the workitem.
Is there a way for the rtc client to recognize that wi# in the file name and hint us, so that we don't have to type it in, just accept?
Thanks

Comments
Donald Nong commented Dec 14 '15, 8:55 p.m.

That's a big ask. What if you check in multiple files?

Daniel Adam commented Dec 15 '15, 2:19 a.m.

Maybe my usage scenario is quite rare and does not fit within a typical users way of work. Let me ask differently. What ways are there to customize the rtc client where I could implement that enhancement myself? Surely it could be done by me scripting in a command line, but I'm looking for the GUI means. Previously I've done some enhancements by pluglets, do you think that would be possible here?
Some other way?
Thanks

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 23 '15, 12:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just for interest's sake, what if you have a bug in one of your scripts.   Wouldn't you want to use the bug-fix work item, rather than the work item that originally created the script?

Daniel Adam commented Dec 23 '15, 3:12 a.m.

Both are doable. Within a release cycle, I usually handle that within the original WI# and just update the same script, if at all possible.
If a bug is found later on (after the script was deployed to prod), I open a new defect.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 24 '15, 12:31 a.m.

But if your process is to encode the work item # in the file name, do you rename that script so that it is script1_12345_97832.sql, or just script1_97832.sql (assuming the bugfix work item has ID 97832)?   I assume not, since this would break any scripts that called this script.   But if you don't rename, your process that assumes the work item number is encoded in the file name would incorrectly link this change set to work item 12345, instead of to work item 97832.

Daniel Adam commented Jan 20 '16, 10:26 a.m.

Geoffrey: this is non-issue for this project, as the scripts are not like a source code, think of them as installation scripts that update the database from version x->y. Typically, each script is used only once - during its deployment time and then can be considered a history.
So it is acceptable that script1_12345 relates to wi# 12345 and script1_97832 relates to wi# 97832. The 2 work items may be related to each other in rtc, but that does not change anything here.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 15 '15, 2:37 a.m.
The only option I see is to try to use a follow up action on delivery. I am not sure if that would work. Here is code for an advisor https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/restrict-delivery-of-changesets-to-workitem-types-advisordelivery-of-changesets-associated-to-wrong-work-item-types-advisor/ the code for a follow up action is very similar.

Note, you can not modify the data in an advisor.

You could also try to add a context menu for the changeset and try to search the files referenced for the numbers and set the item.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 15 '15, 7:36 a.m.
I agree with Ralph. currently the system cannot tell you what id WILL be used for a workitem before it is saved.
so you would have to Save the workitem 1st, then get the value, then fixup and save all the files and then save the workitem again.

why do you want to do this again?  the 'file' is not saved in some folder where you can see all the different versions
the changeset ties the file to that workitem.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 15 '15, 7:59 a.m.

My interpretation is that there is work item information in the file and they want to look it up, search for the work item and get it connected. So I assume the work item would be there already. Why the work item ID is in the file is another matter. Typically you would basically select the work item you are working against as current in Eclipse and RTC would automatically link it to each change set.

Daniel Adam commented Dec 15 '15, 7:59 a.m.

I myself and many other DBAs have been manually entering the wi# for years, while the WI# already is in the file name. So I'm looking for a way to have the manual check-in/deliver automated as much as possible.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.