It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What are the issues and incompatibilities between RTC 5.0.2 and RAD 8.0.4?

michael entler (171227) | asked Dec 08 '15, 4:26 p.m.

I've been told by IBM that RAD 8.0.4 is not compatible with RTC 5.0.2

I realize RAD 8.X is out of support.

I have a dev team that is working in RAD 8 and cannot migrate off of RAD 8 at this time. I Am trying to schedule an upgrade to 5.0.2.

In my testing I was able to install the RAD 8.0.4 and RTC 5.0.2 repositories together through IM 1.8.2/3 and while I got a warning of incompatible bundles, they installed and I was able to connect to a repository, make a change, see the change in pending changes, check in deliver, and create an associated workitem.

This is our base level test.

I'm hesitant to offer this is a temporary solution to this dev team without know what the risk is.

Does anyone know what the potential incompatibilities are?

2 answers

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Dec 08 '15, 4:29 p.m.
This Matrix can help you find the Answer:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21279139

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Dec 08 '15, 6:56 p.m.
I'm not sure why you got the "incompatible" message. I believe it should be in the line of "not officially supported". This means that the combination may work, but it has not been tested by IBM, hence "not supported" (probably because RAD 8.0.x is too old to be included in the testing for RTC 5.0.x). If you get any issues with such combination, you're on your own.

If you use an Eclipse 3.6.x base, chances are it just works. But you need to be aware of any conflicting packages in the shared environment. For example, the RTC installation is known to replace some packages of newer version silently (IIRC that's JDT and the result was the loss of Java 8 support).

Once again, you have to do your own testing for such combination.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.