It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I connect with Tableau software to the Rational data warehouse?

Denise McLaughlin (49618) | asked Nov 03 '15, 12:37 p.m.
Our CMIS team uses Tableau software for generating enterprise reporting.  Rather than go to costly extracts to ETL the Rational data to the CMIS database, can they connect to our Rational Data Warehouse and report on the data.  Our Rational data warehouse is running on DB2

Comments
Michael Reed commented Jun 10 '16, 1:59 p.m. | edited Jun 10 '16, 2:02 p.m.

Hi Denise,

We are in the process of evaluating Tableau and I was wondering if you might have some guidance on connecting it to the CLM data warehouse and generating reports. Did you end up having to develop some ETLs or were you able to connect it and go?

I am completely unfamiliar with Tableau so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-michael

Accepted answer

permanent link
June Boston (1943038) | answered Nov 03 '15, 1:11 p.m.

I don't know that specific tool, but generally any third party can read from the Rational Data Warehouse if it wants.  We're doing an integration with some Oracle-based applications right now, and it will likely involve mapping the Rational DW stuff to similar things in the foreign database with Cognos as the reporting tool.  As long as you don't start messing up existing tables and such in the Rational Data Warehouse, you can add more tables and views and functions and whatever you need to it.  That's part of Insight customization but it should work with anything else.

Your Tableau people will probably have to develop a data model of some sort to map the data warehouse attributes to useful/readable things; again, not familiar with that application so I don't know the specifics.  You could also ETL the data you need from the data warehouse.  Writing your own ETLs for CLM from the ground up instead of using whatever DCC gathers would be a whole bunch of extra work; if you cannot just map to Rational Data Warehouse and need to ETL into some other warehouse for some reason, just extract data from the data warehouse.

These data dictionaries will be useful to your data modelers:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/nl/en-us/SSCP65_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.reporting.overview.doc/topics/c_reference_datadictionary.html

Denise McLaughlin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Denise McLaughlin commented Nov 03 '15, 4:48 p.m.

Thank you June. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.