It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How Can I link Change Set with Test Case

PRASANTA CHAUDHURI (11031925) | asked Oct 28 '15, 6:05 a.m.
Change Set is Created .
As a developer he wants the Change Set to be Tested By Test Case , so that he knows that for codes he Changed a TestCase is available and which can be linked to the Change Set .

He is expecting that a Direct Link from Change Set be available so that he can either Search & Select the Test Case or Can Create a New Test Case and to be associated with the Change Set .

I know that some one may suggest that Link the Work Item with Test Case . I am not asking that .
A single workitem can have multiple Change Set . What I am asking select any of the Change Set in that  WorkItem and associate/link with TestCase .

I request your help in this context on -- How to do it .

Thanks in Advance

PKC

Prasanta Kumar Chaudhuri

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 30 '15, 12:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A work item defines the scope for a testable unit of work, not a change set.   There are many times when you need to create multiple change sets for a single testable unit of work (e.g., the change modifies several components, or you discover a bug in the first change set and a second change set is required to fix the bug before the test will succeed).  That is why linking a test case to a work item is supported, while linking a test case to a single change set is not.   If you have two separately testable change sets, they should be linked to two separate work items.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 30 '15, 3:20 a.m.

I probably should have brought that up too. Thanks Geoff.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 28 '15, 6:16 a.m.
edited Oct 28 '15, 6:18 a.m.
For all I know this is not supported. You basically test a build and not a change set. A change set is just the difference between sole files in a component and will in most cases not do anything.

So what is done is to test against a build (represented by a build result or a milestone number).

A defect can be created for the build result. Assuming the build is a public build, it would contain the change set in the snapshot. The work item would allow to link the build result, the test case result (and the test case in that context) and the change set(s) that went into the build compared to the one before.

Comments
PRASANTA CHAUDHURI commented Oct 29 '15, 7:29 a.m. | edited Oct 30 '15, 12:20 a.m.

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for your inputs.

Since we want to do Code driven Testing , this Use Case very much important .

Our Idea is that -- If each Change Set is linked to TestCase and in that case it will indicate whether portion of code is tested or not .

I think , it can be treated as Enhancement .

Thanks

PKC

Prasanta Kumar Chaushuri

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.