It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to deliver a single file using scm tools?

Francisco Rodriguez (561528) | asked Oct 15 '15, 12:42 p.m.
edited Oct 30 '15, 4:50 p.m. by Dejan Custic (2855)
 Hello,

I want to deliver a single file into a stream using SCM Tools. I've read this article:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_2.0.0.2/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/r_scm_cli_deliver.html

but it seems that it is only possible to deliver a bunch of files.

Do you have any suggestion?

Regards,
Francisco R.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Chris McGee (50511117) | answered Oct 20 '15, 1:57 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Francisco,

As mentioned earlier, the way that you flow file changes around in SCM is using change sets. A change set can have zero or more file changes in it. In your case, it sounds like you want to deliver a change set to the stream with only a single file change in it.

In order to do this with scmtools (or CLI) you will first need to find/create a repository workspace from the stream so that you can load it to a folder on your local disk.

# create a repository workspace using the CLI (if you don't already have one)
lscm create workspace -r <serverUri> -s <yourStreamName> <repositoryWorkspaceName>

# load repository workspace (in an empty directory)
lscm load -r <serverUri> <repositoryWorkspaceName>

Once the repository workspace is loaded onto your local disk you can make a change to the file and then checkin the changes into a new change set.

# make changes to file foo.txt
lscm checkin src/foo.txt

Finally, you can deliver the change set with the one file change in it to the stream. Note that this command will deliver all change sets. In this case there should only be one created above.

lscm deliver

It is possible that the deliver will fail due to a missing comment on the change set. You can either configure your project area permissions to allow change sets with empty comments or you can use the CLI to set the changeset comment. Check out "lscm help set changeset" for more information.

I hope that this helps,
Chris
Francisco Rodriguez selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Francisco Rodriguez commented Oct 23 '15, 2:08 p.m.

Thanks for your answer, Chris. It was really helpful.

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Oct 15 '15, 12:58 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can only ever ever deliver change sets to a component in a stream. You would have to create a new change set and check the file into that. To be able to do that you would have to complete all other open change sets if you had previously checked in the same file into any of those.

Comments
Francisco Rodriguez commented Oct 15 '15, 1:13 p.m.

Thanks for the answer Ralph. You are right about delivering change sets to a component, so I edited the question. Now, I just don't know how to check a single file into a change set. Do you have any example?

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13677) | answered Oct 15 '15, 1:49 p.m.
Hi Francisco,

Yes, you have to suspend all the changesets first which is not to be deliver at this moment.

Modify the one file which you wanted >> create a new changeset >> Deliver to the stream

Please let me know did that answers your question.

Regards,
Arun.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.