It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Single or Multi Testcases

Thor Aaen (1728) | asked Oct 12 '15, 1:54 a.m.
edited Oct 12 '15, 1:58 a.m.

Hi Jazz forum,

I am writing to you because we have a topic ongoing about how to handle our requirement (all our req. is in DOORS), witch happen to involve multi product – you can say that our requirement is generic, like “Req.01: The System shall support firmware upgrade”. And this requirement is valid for 3 difference product (Product A,B,C).
Today we are using Environments, to maintain e.g Product A,B and C.

I am very beaver of how RQM is working, according to multi Test cases, Test script and Environments.

Today I have choose to use this setup in RQM:
1) One generic Test cases (incl. 1 x Test script pr. TC), controlled in multi Environments (one Environment for each product A,B and C)

But we are also talking about this setup in RQM, (for the same type of requirement)
2) Multi specific Test cases, like a Test case for each product – 3 x Test cases (incl. 1 Test script pr. TC).

I am a little sceptic about using option 2), in order to be able to see the individual status for this Requirement in 3 deference Test Plane, due to a “Blocked” result from one Test case (Product A) will also be see in all 3 Test Planes.

Any comment on this (complex question), is appreciated.
Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
paul chu (59411) | answered Oct 26 '15, 2:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Environment of a test case is usually for testing.  For example, the environments for a test case that tests with the browser will be FireFox, Chrome, etc.  I would use test plan categories to track products so the exact same test case can be reused for future new products.

For the test case that validates the requirement, is the testing the same for all three products?  I would think a test case that validates a generic requirement should test on the functionality not depending on the product.  If they are the exact same test then I would use a single test case and testing it once should covers all three products.  Defect on the test case should affect all three products too.  If the testing are different for different product then I would use different test cases.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.