It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a public schema or API to extract Rational Doors Next Generation data

Becky McDermott (921140) | asked Sep 03 '15, 3:37 p.m.
 We are trying to clean up some linking and attributes in our Rational Doors Next Generation repository.

Is there any way to query the back-end SQL database?  Or, is there an API that will allow us to pull the relational data out of the database for analysis and cleanup?

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Sep 03 '15, 7:46 p.m.
Direct access to the backend database is always discouraged. Without the full knowledge of the database, any data manipulation can easily lead to data corruption. I would suggest you contact IBM Support and discuss further about your concerns. At the end of the day, you may just need some performance tuning, not data trimming.

Comments
Becky McDermott commented Sep 04 '15, 9:46 a.m.

We are not so much wanting to update the database as to just query it to find data inconsistencies.  I was going to build views, export them, import them into a database and then query to find bad links, duplicate attributes, etc.  But then I thought if the back-end was easy enough to query, I could just do that directly.  But, as most COTS systems are proprietary, it may be more complicated and take longer to figure out the schema.  I need to contact IBM support regarding other issues anyway.

Thank you.

permanent link
Mike Parker (11) | answered May 13 '16, 4:48 a.m.
Hi Becky,

I've got a similar requirement to be able to query the DOORS NG database.

Did you get anywhere with your request?

Best regards,

Mike

Comments
Becky McDermott commented May 16 '16, 10:15 a.m.

Mike,

No, not really.  The answer below is what I seemed to consistently get.  There does appear to be a REST API that will let you pull back data but I didn't have the time to figure out how it worked.  Unfortunately for me, I didn't have access to the backend Oracle database to look around on my own.  I don't believe any of the DB is publicly documented but if you have visibility into the database (can connect to it through SQL tools), you might be able to see the structure and figure out how it works.  That wasn't an option for me as a different group manages the database and I do not have access.

It is my understanding that the database is not traditionally relational and that is why they don't expose it.

Good Luck,

Becky

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.