It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Features in RTC Cleint for Visual Studio 2008

TIMOTHY MILLER (11) | asked Jul 10 '09, 10:18 a.m.
Recently went to a RTC PoT at the IBM technology center in Waltham Mass. I've since been playing with th eRTC in both Eclipse and Visual Studio and was wondering if there are plans to make the Visual Studio RTC client as feature rich as the Eclipse one? Currently, in order to do things like request builds or use the integrated chat I need to switch to the Eclipse client. Also automating MSBuild jobs requires hand scripting the builds and having a build template akin to the Ant one that comes with RTC would be nice as well. Any chance those features are coming in a future release?

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jul 10 '09, 10:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Tim,

according to my information RTC 2.0 (out for 2 weeks) is build aware and
can request builds.
In general the VS client is getting better. With 2.0 most other things can
be done also in the web UI e.g. planning.
So given that RTC opens these features in Visual Studio using the web UI
there is almost no need any more to open the eclipse UI if you don't want
to.

Ralph

Recently went to a RTC PoT at the IBM technology center in Waltham
Mass. I've since been playing with th eRTC in both Eclipse and Visual
Studio and was wondering if there are plans to make the Visual Studio
RTC client as feature rich as the Eclipse one? Currently, in order to
do things like request builds or use the integrated chat I need to
switch to the Eclipse client. Also automating MSBuild jobs requires
hand scripting the builds and having a build template akin to the Ant
one that comes with RTC would be nice as well. Any chance those
features are coming in a future release?

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jul 10 '09, 12:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Recently went to a RTC PoT at the IBM technology center in Waltham Mass. I've since been playing with th eRTC in both Eclipse and Visual Studio and was wondering if there are plans to make the Visual Studio RTC client as feature rich as the Eclipse one? Currently, in order to do things like request builds or use the integrated chat I need to switch to the Eclipse client. Also automating MSBuild jobs requires hand scripting the builds and having a build template akin to the Ant one that comes with RTC would be nice as well. Any chance those features are coming in a future release?

Hi

As Ralph mentioned, the build capability is now visible in 2.0. Try that out and if there are more things you need - please raise work items. Of particular interest would be the things that are specific to the VS environment, not just clones of the Eclipse capabilities.

re: the chat - many people use standalone IM clients rather than the integrated chat anyway. Given you can create URL's of RTC elements like builds, work items, etc , you can paste that into any chat screen. Not quite drag-and-drop, but more portable given the number of IM systems out there.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jul 14 '09, 1:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For running MSBuild builds, you should be able to configure a Command Line build definition to run the MSBuild script.
See 'Using the buildtoolkit in non-Ant environments' at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildExamples
I realize this isn't quite as convenient as the configuration page for Ant builds, but is more general.

For contributing downloads/logs etc. back to the build result, it's easiest to do this by invoking Ant as a command-line tool from the MSBuild script.
See 'Publishing Build Status and Build Artifacts' at http://jazz.net/library/article/195

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jul 17 '09, 12:48 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you tried the 2.0 Release? We do have build support in that - so you don't need to switch to the eclipse client any more for that. We're also much closer feature-wise to the eclipse client in 2.0. With the rich planning support via the Web Client and the enhanced feature set for the VS Client in 2.0, a VS developer should not need to switch to eclipse at all. We don't have chat integration yet. With each release, we take a list of prioritized features that we implement - and the priority is based on user demand, so opening a work item with a request for your favorite features would be good.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.