It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 2.0 Dashboards -- One Viewlet Showing Multiple Projects

Brad Poulliot (561210) | asked Jul 09 '09, 2:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm working with an organization that is working on literally hundreds of projects across 8,000 practitioners. To improve their resource utilization numbers they want to be able to create a dashboard or report that queries against multiple projects stored across multiple repositories/servers. The result set should show unassigned work items so that practitioners with free cycles can self-assign and complete the work.

I could add viewlets for each project, but that becomes very unwieldy for literally hundreds of projects.

I'd appreciate responses from folks who have successfully tackled this issue or have insight into alternatives.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Brad

6 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jul 09 '09, 6:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Brad, compared to Team Areas, Project Areas are havier weight. Have you thought about using Team Areas instead?

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k10284271) | answered Jul 10 '09, 9:25 a.m.
I'm working with an organization that is working on literally hundreds of projects across 8,000 practitioners. To improve their resource utilization numbers they want to be able to create a dashboard or report that queries against multiple projects stored across multiple repositories/servers. The result set should show unassigned work items so that practitioners with free cycles can self-assign and complete the work.

I could add viewlets for each project, but that becomes very unwieldy for literally hundreds of projects.

I'd appreciate responses from folks who have successfully tackled this issue or have insight into alternatives.

Brad

I wonder if what you are asking is the feature that http://jazz.net/projects/rational-focal-point-for-project-management/ Focal Point for Project Management is supposed to fix.

permanent link
Brad Poulliot (561210) | answered Jul 10 '09, 11:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Brad, compared to Team Areas, Project Areas are havier weight. Have you thought about using Team Areas instead?

Yes, I have. However, I need to be able to generate a list of unassigned work items across all projects/repositories and present it either in a viewlet on a dashboard or a report. Is that possible?

permanent link
Brad Poulliot (561210) | answered Jul 10 '09, 11:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Brad

I wonder if what you are asking is the feature that http://jazz.net/projects/rational-focal-point-for-project-management/ Focal Point for Project Management is supposed to fix.

I believe the capability I'm referring to may be addressed by Focal Point for Project Management, however, it is not available now. I also think that Rational Insight (currently available) could support this requirement.

What I'm trying to find out is if RTC 2.0 can support a single query to generate the list of all unassigned tasks (work items) across all projects/repositories and display via a dashboard viewlet or report?

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jul 10 '09, 11:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, I have. However, I need to be able to generate a list of unassigned work items across all projects/repositories and present it either in a viewlet on a dashboard or a report. Is that possible?

Hi

This is an interesting problem. Don't have a direct solution (except with additional tools like Rational Insight or the new Rational Focalpoint PM tool). However, if you have thousands of projects - how many unassigned work items are you going to be trying to display?

anthony

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jul 10 '09, 1:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Brad

I believe the capability I'm referring to may be addressed by Focal Point for Project Management, however, it is not available now. I also think that Rational Insight (currently available) could support this requirement.

What I'm trying to find out is if RTC 2.0 can support a single query to generate the list of all unassigned tasks (work items) across all projects/repositories and display via a dashboard viewlet or report?
Yes it should be possible to design a report that can output the list of all open work items across project areas within the same repository. Across repositories is not possible. Of course project area read access control will also have an effect on the output. Whoever is running the report must have read access to all project areas. RTC reports do not support paginated output. So we may need to limit the output size and show only a partial list if you have ten of thousands of open work items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.