It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Hours Done not increasing as Work Items are closed

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Jul 08 '09, 2:06 p.m.
I'm using the GA version of RTC 2.0.

I created a Timeline for New Development, an Iteration for our current release, and then 2 sub-iterations for Sprints. I created a Product Backlog for the current release iteration, and sprint backlogs for the 2 sprints. I also created a Development team area and added the users in. The plans were configured to the Team Area.

I then added Stories and Tasks to the Product Backlog initially, then moved them to the Sprint they would be developed in. I'm noticing as I'm closing Stories that the Work Hours Done in the Progress Bar is not increasing. What its doing instead is lowering the Total Work hours for the Sprint. So instead of 0/400, when I complete a Story that's 5 hours it now displays 0/395.

I'm also noticing the individual developer's Work Load hours is still set at 0, even when Tasks are assigned to them and estimates are given.

I checked the Planning articles and it looks like I'm setting up the plans the same way as the article. I also checked my past setups with the betas where it was working and I'm not seeing a difference.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here. Maybe I'm not handling a new function correctly that was added in prior to the GA release?

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jul 08 '09, 5:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I created a Timeline for New Development, an Iteration for our current release, and then 2 sub-iterations for Sprints. I created a Product Backlog for the current release iteration, and sprint backlogs for the 2 sprints. I also created a Development team area and added the users in. The plans were configured to the Team Area.

I then added Stories and Tasks to the Product Backlog initially, then moved them to the Sprint they would be developed in. I'm noticing as I'm closing Stories that the Work Hours Done in the Progress Bar is not increasing. What its doing instead is lowering the Total Work hours for the Sprint. So instead of 0/400, when I complete a Story that's 5 hours it now displays 0/395.

I'm also noticing the individual developer's Work Load hours is still set at 0, even when Tasks are assigned to them and estimates are given.

I checked the Planning articles and it looks like I'm setting up the plans the same way as the article. I also checked my past setups with the betas where it was working and I'm not seeing a difference.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here. Maybe I'm not handling a new function correctly that was added in prior to the GA release?

Not quite sure what has happened here - but have you checked out the effect of having top-level work items in the plan? I seem to remember that these top-level items get ignored in the progress calculations. Just trying to find this in the help to confirm.

To check what is considered a top-level work item in your project, look at the project process configuration tab in ProjectConfiguration->Configuration Data->Planning->Top-level work item types.

I hope I am not misleading you here...

anthony

Check yp

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Jul 08 '09, 5:54 p.m.

Not quite sure what has happened here - but have you checked out the effect of having top-level work items in the plan? I seem to remember that these top-level items get ignored in the progress calculations. Just trying to find this in the help to confirm.

To check what is considered a top-level work item in your project, look at the project process configuration tab in ProjectConfiguration->Configuration Data->Planning->Top-level work item types.

I hope I am not misleading you here...

anthony

Check yp

Thanks Anthony,

It was because I had Task listed as a Top-Level Work Item. I had set this as a Top-Level work item before because the Tasks weren't appearing in the backlog list. Luckily when I remove it now they're still in there.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.