It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I get the "attributeType" menu for an attribute customization?

Eric Salberta (133) | asked Jun 15 '15, 6:05 p.m.
When trying to create a Java plug-in that defines an attribute customization (a "condition" to be specific) by following the instructions in this Wiki article, I can get to the point where I specify the "id", "name", and "class".  After that, the instructions say to "Right click on the new customization and select New > attributeType". The only thing that I can see to click on is the item which appears just below the "...attributeValueProviders" entry on the left-hand pane.  When I right-click on this, I get a menu with entries like "Save", "Revert", and such, but no "New" item.  Has anyone been able to get this to work?  Is there something else that I should be right-clicking instead of that left-hand pane item?

Note that I'm using the 5.0.2 release of Rational Team Concert.  Has this procedure changed since the Wiki article was written?  Is there a newer article that I should be reading instead?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Eric Salberta

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 16 '15, 2:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You might click on the wrong node.

You might also want to look at https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/attribute-customization-java-based-value-providers-conditions-and-validators/ for more information.
Eric Salberta selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Eric Salberta commented Jun 16 '15, 11:24 a.m.

Thank you very much, Mr. Schoon, but that is the very node which I right-clicked.  I get the same menu that you show, but it does not have the "New" item (at least not when creating a "condition"; I haven't tried a "defaultValueProvider").

Also note that another user has also confirmed that he does not see the "New" menu item either, when running under RTC 5.0.2 and creating a "condition".

Thanks for your answer,
Eric

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 16 '15, 11:49 a.m.

Conditions don't run in the context of an attribute. You can't add an attribute therefore.
I just tried with 5.0.2 and the menu item is available for all providers that actually run in the context of an attribute.

Eric Salberta commented Jun 16 '15, 1:50 p.m.

Thank you very much, Mr. Schoon.  I must have misunderstood the instructions, then.  I will review the documentation.

Eric

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 17 '15, 1:52 a.m.

Call me Ralph. This is the main difference between conditions and the other attribute customization. It caught me by surprise too. Read https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization#Conditions and you will see there is no attribute that is passed. You can also not configure conditions in the attribute editor. Instead you configure them in  pre-conditions e.g. read-only and required for condition. There you assign them to the attribute.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.