It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I get the "attributeType" menu for an attribute customization?

Eric Salberta (133) | asked Jun 15 '15, 6:05 p.m.
When trying to create a Java plug-in that defines an attribute customization (a "condition" to be specific) by following the instructions in this Wiki article, I can get to the point where I specify the "id", "name", and "class".  After that, the instructions say to "Right click on the new customization and select New > attributeType". The only thing that I can see to click on is the item which appears just below the "...attributeValueProviders" entry on the left-hand pane.  When I right-click on this, I get a menu with entries like "Save", "Revert", and such, but no "New" item.  Has anyone been able to get this to work?  Is there something else that I should be right-clicking instead of that left-hand pane item?

Note that I'm using the 5.0.2 release of Rational Team Concert.  Has this procedure changed since the Wiki article was written?  Is there a newer article that I should be reading instead?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Eric Salberta

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 16 '15, 2:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You might click on the wrong node.

You might also want to look at https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/attribute-customization-java-based-value-providers-conditions-and-validators/ for more information.
Eric Salberta selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Eric Salberta commented Jun 16 '15, 11:24 a.m.

Thank you very much, Mr. Schoon, but that is the very node which I right-clicked.  I get the same menu that you show, but it does not have the "New" item (at least not when creating a "condition"; I haven't tried a "defaultValueProvider").

Also note that another user has also confirmed that he does not see the "New" menu item either, when running under RTC 5.0.2 and creating a "condition".

Thanks for your answer,
Eric

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 16 '15, 11:49 a.m.

Conditions don't run in the context of an attribute. You can't add an attribute therefore.
I just tried with 5.0.2 and the menu item is available for all providers that actually run in the context of an attribute.

Eric Salberta commented Jun 16 '15, 1:50 p.m.

Thank you very much, Mr. Schoon.  I must have misunderstood the instructions, then.  I will review the documentation.

Eric

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 17 '15, 1:52 a.m.

Call me Ralph. This is the main difference between conditions and the other attribute customization. It caught me by surprise too. Read https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization#Conditions and you will see there is no attribute that is passed. You can also not configure conditions in the attribute editor. Instead you configure them in  pre-conditions e.g. read-only and required for condition. There you assign them to the attribute.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.