It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a load rule in the project explorer the component is not linked to a workspace

nannette Mori (50985) | asked Jun 05 '15, 9:04 a.m.
edited Jun 09 '15, 2:27 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646)
I created a new load rule.  All but three of the components could be loaded as is, however three of the components I had to load as because I had to change the paths of the components.  The three components that I changed the path on show up in project explorer, but the component is not connected to the workspace.  Why is that?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 05 '15, 3:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

When you say "the component is not connected to the workspace", do you mean "the Eclipse project in that component is not appearing in the Package Explorer view" ?  When you look on disk, do the directories/files for those components appear in the expected locations in the sandbox?

nannette Mori commented Jun 05 '15, 4:19 p.m.

so I did a load as because we changed the component path.  in the Package Explorer window the components that I did a load as displays in the following manner:

mcs (2 Loaded)(what does 2 loaded mean?) and it is not associated with a workspace like the components I just loaded into my sandbox.  On the disk the directories/files do appear in the expected locations in the sandbox. 

When you unload the sandbox the components you loaded using load as does not get deleted( the top level directory) the directories underneath do get deleted....I am thinking it is because RTC does not know about that directory therefore it doesnt know to delete it on the filesystem.  Is this the normal behavior whenever you use "load as" to create a load rule.  Also I noticed under one of the components that I created for the load rules using load as creates an empty bin directory....why is that happening?

When creating load rules which option do you select out of the 3?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 05 '15, 5:18 p.m.
The pathname you specify via "load as" (prior to 6.0) causes the creation of non-version-controlled folders in your sandbox, which therefore will not be associated with any component.   For example, if you load folder "foo" at pathname "x\y\z", then when you load folder "foo", the non-version-controlled folders "<sandbox-root>\x", "<sandbox-root>\x\y", and "<sandbox-root>\x\y\" will be created, and the "foo" will be loaded at "<sandbox-root>\x\y\z\foo".  And when you "unload" the component, those non-version-controlled folders are left in place in the sandbox (so you'll have to delete them manually if you want to get rid of them).   As I recall, the "2 loaded" annotation on a folder means that there are two folders/files "loaded" into that folder (or something like that :-).
Note that starting in V6.0, "nested loading" is supported, and you are allowed to use "load as" to load a component under a version-controlled directory in another component.
As for the empty bin directory ... if there is no empty bin directory in the repository, then that must have been created by Eclipse, and not by RTC.

Comments
nannette Mori commented Jun 08 '15, 9:44 a.m.

Okay, so when you need to change the path a component is located you have to use load as but what concept I am having a hard time grasping is this.

So I have a component called xyz- the developer tells me it must be loaded to xyza  so I load as to xyza.  Now originally the component was xyz, but when you change the path you now have xyza and the component xyz does not display, so it seems your xyz component just disappeared, however I noticed in the load rules the component is till xyz with the path as xyza.  Why does the component name no longer there?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 08 '15, 8:42 p.m.

I assume you are using the "load as" wizard in Eclipse to load to a specific pathname in the sandbox.  When you say "you now have xyza", I assume you mean that you see an "xyza" folder in the file system instead of "xyz" (which I assume is what you wanted).   When you say "the component xyz does not display", which display are you looking at?   In the file system, you do not expect to see "xyz", since you have loaded the root folder of that component as "xyza".     As for the load rule file, it still refers to the component as "xyz", since that is still the display name of the component.   The name of the folder where the root folder is stored is independent of the display name of the folder.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.