It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Contributor roles/livcensing in RTC 2.0

Dan Thorson (111) | asked Jul 02 '09, 5:22 p.m.
We lost all our contributor licenses when we applied our license against the 2.0 GA release. I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that 2.0 offered unlimited (free) contributor liceneses - I heard this at RSDC. We are using RTC Express.

Do we have to pay for contributor licenses with RTC 2.0 Express? We only had one license file available on the PA site.

Here's what is being reported in our admin dashboard under License Key Management / Client Access License Types.

Rational Team Concert Express (0-Included) Contributor 0 0 0 Activated
Rational Team Concert Express (Unlocked) Developer 15 8 7 Activated
Rational Team Concert Express (5-Included) Build System 5 1 4 Activated
Rational Team Concert Express (Unlocked) ClearCase Connector 50 0 50 Activated

We trained our sales/marketing staff on adding user stories using the contributor license, but the access went away as soon as we applied our license files. :(

Also, just because I'm curious, why am I able to tell RTC how many developer licenses we purchased? The LKM page will allow me to configure 50 developer licenses even though we paid for 15? Shouldn't the license key file from the PA site have knowledge of how many licenses we are entitled to? I thought that was a bit odd.

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jul 02 '09, 6:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We lost all our contributor licenses when we applied our license against the 2.0 GA release. I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that 2.0 offered unlimited (free) contributor liceneses - I heard this at RSDC. We are using RTC Express.

Do we have to pay for contributor licenses with RTC 2.0 Express? We only had one license file available on the PA site.

Here's what is being reported in our admin dashboard under License Key Management / Client Access License Types.

Rational Team Concert Express (0-Included) Contributor 0 0 0 Activated
Rational Team Concert Express (Unlocked) Developer 15 8 7 Activated
Rational Team Concert Express (5-Included) Build System 5 1 4 Activated
Rational Team Concert Express (Unlocked) ClearCase Connector 50 0 50 Activated

We trained our sales/marketing staff on adding user stories using the contributor license, but the access went away as soon as we applied our license files. :(

Also, just because I'm curious, why am I able to tell RTC how many developer licenses we purchased? The LKM page will allow me to configure 50 developer licenses even though we paid for 15? Shouldn't the license key file from the PA site have knowledge of how many licenses we are entitled to? I thought that was a bit odd.

Hi

I think I see what misunderstanding has occurred here...

The limits on the number of contributors and developers changes in 2.0 release. For Express, the *server* allows up to 50 developers and unlimited numbers of contributors. This is the capability of the server. On the other hand, how many contributors you can make use of depends on the number of client licenses available to you.

Are you saying you did have contributor licenses before the upgrade, and none afterwards? Do you still have your contributor client access license files? You need to reapply the license keys if this is the case. You may also want to talk to the PA help desk if you believe you should have contributor client access licenses that are no longer there.

re: LKM page. You are correct, you can enter more client access licenses than you bought. The keys do not encode the number of purchased licenses, unlike the FlexLM licenses. You would (of course) be breaking your license agreement if you entered more than you bought.

anthony

permanent link
Christina Kettenacker (561) | answered Jul 14 '09, 3:57 a.m.
Hello,

I have a similar problem.

We're using the RTC Standard Edition which includes 4.000 concurrent contributor licenses in RTC 1.0.1. But now, after I added the license keys after upgrading to RTC 2.0, these licenses are gone.. They are not even shown in the admin area under "License Key Management".

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lina

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jul 14 '09, 10:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

I have a similar problem.

We're using the RTC Standard Edition which includes 4.000 concurrent contributor licenses in RTC 1.0.1. But now, after I added the license keys after upgrading to RTC 2.0, these licenses are gone.. They are not even shown in the admin area under "License Key Management".

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lina

Hi Lina

Please contact Tech Support about this - and let us all know what the fix might be.

anthony

permanent link
Christina Kettenacker (561) | answered Jul 14 '09, 11:23 a.m.
Please contact Tech Support about this - and let us all know what the fix might be.

Ok, done. I keep you informed.

Lina

permanent link
Christina Kettenacker (561) | answered Jul 29 '09, 4:02 a.m.
It's not quite the solution I suspected..

I tried the old license for concurrent contributors from version 1.0.1 by myself just to see what happens - and that made it work..

I asked if this scenario would cause problems or anything, but support says it's ok like that..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.