It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a Multi Select List on Work Items

Mathew Spurgeon (3195) | asked Jun 10 '09, 2:11 p.m.
retagged Jun 15 '12, 1:29 p.m. by Evan Hughes (2.4k1318)
I need to present a multi-select list and I found one on the Editor Presentation, however it does not show on the actual Defect.

Custom Attribute - Change_Type
Attribute Type - Enumeration

Add Presentation -
ID - ""
Kind - Multi-Select List
Attribute - Change_Type

The field never appears on the Work Item form. If I change the Kind - Enumeration is works fine.

I have a static list the needs to be displayed and multiple entries can be selected. I am open to any suggestion to make that work

6 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered Jun 11 '09, 5:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
As attribute type you have to use smallString or mediumString or String. Then, when configuring the presentation, you configure it to show up as Multi-Select List or Checkbox List presentation and add a property with key 'enumeration' and value the id of your enumeration.

References: Work Item Editor Presentations article: http://jazz.net/library/article/130

Be aware that the underlying enumeration is only available to the work item editor. Creating a query for that attribute is then more difficult.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Mathew Spurgeon (3195) | answered Jun 11 '09, 7:57 a.m.
Hi
As attribute type you have to use smallString or mediumString or String. Then, when configuring the presentation, you configure it to show up as Multi-Select List or Checkbox List presentation and add a property with key 'enumeration' and value the id of your enumeration.

References: Work Item Editor Presentations article: http://jazz.net/library/article/130

Be aware that the underlying enumeration is only available to the work item editor. Creating a query for that attribute is then more difficult.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Thanks Marcel,

That is exactly the information that I needed.

Thanks,
Mat

Comments
David Murphy commented Jun 15 '12, 1:00 p.m.

How do you create a query for this type of custom attribute?

Dan Bajema commented Sep 19 '12, 6:05 p.m.

Yes, I have the same question as David...

Creating this Multi-Select Checkbox with String works in the presentation, however you cannot create a query based on the enumeration of that attribute. Anytime I've created a query it forces me to use "Full Text" which is a total drag since I had already taken the time to create the specific enumerations for that attribute.

How can we create a proper Multi-Select Checkbox in the presentation for attributes which can also be used in queries?? I really need to know how to accomplish this :))

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Nov 30 '12, 12:04 p.m.
You can still query the selected values. Since the attribute is of type String it expects to query using full text. However, you can change condition at the top of the box from "contains" to "exists" and leave the full text blank. This worked for me and remember it will display the IDs of the enumeration not the display values.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 30 '12, 12:19 p.m.
edited Aug 17 '13, 11:08 a.m.
If you define the text field as small or medium then you can use contains.. if long then only full text search..

second, to make this semi useful for your users, after creating the Enum, use the Process XML source view and change the generated enum ID values to known useful fixed strings (warning, IDs are project wide not workitem specific, so they will show everywhere)..

then you can build a query  Enum list contains Defect_Feature_A (a made up enum ID value)

Sam

permanent link
dinesh kumar (133) | answered Aug 17 '13, 1:19 a.m.
 Hi,

I have successfully added a check box in my custom workitem.

After selecting the checkbox and once saved, i want to uncheck the check box!

Is there anyway to achieve this?

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 17 '13, 11:10 a.m.
as far as I know, you cannot do this.   It would make the UI think there is a pending change.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.