It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requirements status icon

Karen Steele (1.2k4139148) | asked May 27 '09, 10:12 a.m.
I had assumed, apparenlty incorrectly, that if a requirement was associated with a test case or plan, and that associated element changed, that the requirement would be updated and flagged as suspect. It appears that this is only true if the requirement itself is modified.

Is that a correct statement ? If it is, then I feel personally, that we need know from all angles that something changed where association is defined, be it to the test plan or test case.

Thx

2 answers

permanent link
Wayne Ho (91) | answered Jun 03 '09, 11:26 a.m.
I had assumed, apparenlty incorrectly, that if a requirement was associated with a test case or plan, and that associated element changed, that the requirement would be updated and flagged as suspect. It appears that this is only true if the requirement itself is modified.

Is that a correct statement ? If it is, then I feel personally, that we need know from all angles that something changed where association is defined, be it to the test plan or test case.

Thx

If a requirement becomes suspect, any test case and test plan associated with it also becomes suspect, but not the other way around.

The intention here is to help support a requirements-based testing scenario where a requirement has changed that may require changes in a test case or test plan. The requirement is marked as suspect and its associated test plan(s) and test case(s) are also marked as suspect. The user can then evaluate whether changes are required and then clear the suspect flag on the given test plan(s) and case(s).

Our thinking is that changes in a test case does not typically result in the need to change a requirement, whereas a change in a requirement more likely will require a change in a test case / test plan.

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k4139148) | answered Jun 03 '09, 12:17 p.m.

Thx

If a requirement becomes suspect, any test case and test plan associated with it also becomes suspect, but not the other way around.

The intention here is to help support a requirements-based testing scenario where a requirement has changed that may require changes in a test case or test plan. The requirement is marked as suspect and its associated test plan(s) and test case(s) are also marked as suspect. The user can then evaluate whether changes are required and then clear the suspect flag on the given test plan(s) and case(s).

Our thinking is that changes in a test case does not typically result in the need to change a requirement, whereas a change in a requirement more likely will require a change in a test case / test plan.

Agreed that does actually make more sense, I guess I as thinking outside the box where a team is perhaps not using the requirements portion where a test plan change might actually affect a test case, or similarly a test case change may impact an associated script.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.