It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Existing test environment with production database

Sebastien Conan (835) | asked Feb 16 '15, 9:08 a.m.

Hi all,´

I have a production platform with IBM CLM 4.0.7 and we plan to migrate to 5.0.2. Of course I would like to try it on another platform before. I already have a test platform (version 4.0.7) but the databases are almost empty and the best I think would be to have some "real" databases to simulate the migration in a environment close to the production one.

There´s a new platform (version 4.0.7) that has never been used (without any databases attached) and I would like to use it to connect some old backups from the production and to get some real datas for the migration.

My question is to know if I can run the custom setup and connect these databases ?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 16 '15, 10:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can basically restore a backup on such a machine. You have to make sure that the production server and the test server machines are isolated against each other, because you have to run the test system with the same public URI the production server has. For Backup see: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/BackupCLM You can ask support for a server rename key in order to rename the test environments public URI: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_5.0.2/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_redeploy_server.html?lang=en

Please note, that also in the case of a rename, you must avoid linking elements across the production and the test server.

Comments
Sebastien Conan commented Feb 17 '15, 3:09 a.m.

Hi Ralph, thanks for the fast answer. Of course I know this solution but my problem is that I can´t have this 2 platform isolated from each other. Any ideas how I can do that ?

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 17 '15, 3:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You basically can't as far as I know. The only other solution is to
1. Create a backup of your whole system
2. Take the prod offline
3. Test with your prod system
4. Restore prod from the backup

I can not suggest this solution.

Chidambaram L commented Oct 02 '15, 11:01 a.m.

@rschoon,

Will this not work:
1.    Remove the QA environment from the network.
2.    Change the public URI of the QA server to match the production server.
3.    Restore the production db backup to the QA Db server and change the configuration to the new Tables. Dont reinstall the QA Server.
4.    Run the server rename script provided by IBM Support
5.    Bring the QA Environment back to the network
6.    Re-Index

If the customer is hosting the applications in virtual machines, will this be easier:
1) Restore the clone of all VM Hosting all CLM Servers & Production Db Server in an isolated environment.
2) Run the Server rename script provided by IBM Support team.
3) Bring QA environment to the network.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.