It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

does RTC distributed SCM work between 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 servers?

Tom Seelbach (1857) | asked Feb 02 '15, 2:11 p.m.

This page implies that distributed SCM will work between 5.0.1 and 5.0.2, but it also has a disclaimer, hence my question.
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_n-1.html&scope=null

thanks,
Tom

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Feb 03 '15, 2:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 03 '15, 2:24 a.m.
The table implies that it should work between those two versions of RTC. N-1 compatibility (client level) and distributed SCM compatibility (server level) are different beasts. The help (in progress) says:

Server compatibility for distributed Source Control Management (SCM)

Because of the significant changes that are delivered to the SCM model in version 4.0.6, the following incompatibilities exist when using a distributed SCM:
  • Rational Team Concert 3.x is not compatible with Rational Team Concert 4.x and beyond.
  • Rational Team Concert 4.0.4 is not compatible with Rational Team Concert 4.0.5 and beyond.

I would however suggest to setup a test system, if you want to make sure.

Comments
Tom Seelbach commented Feb 06 '15, 7:44 a.m.

Thanks Ralph,

I see that support is implied.  I'm looking for an explicit statement (or table entry) such as "distributed SCM is supported between all 5.0.x levels."  

The Distributed SCM section on that page is all about what cannot be done.  I'm asking for an update to that section stating what can be done / is supported.

thanks,
Tom

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 06 '15, 10:55 a.m. | edited Feb 06 '15, 10:56 a.m.

This is the official help - under development for the next version. It does not get more official. As it is not maintainable if you want a list of working combinations, they provide a list of what does not work.

If you disagree, please file a work item against help/documentation.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 03 '15, 8:17 a.m.
you must have official licenses.. the temp license does not enable DSCM

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 03 '15, 8:24 a.m. | edited Feb 03 '15, 8:24 a.m.

The eval licenses (developer) worked for me, as long as they are not yet expired. At that point you would need official developer licenses. You can also not mix these with developer for workgroup or 10 Free licenses, as these switch that feature off if used together on a server.

sam detweiler commented Feb 03 '15, 8:26 a.m.

ah, eval vs free.. got it.  I install the free immediately..

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 03 '15, 8:50 a.m. | edited Feb 03 '15, 8:50 a.m.

You can not use the 10Free, Sam. As mentioned above, they disable distributed SCM, unfortunately. But you can play with this feature using two freshly installed test repositories, using the evaluation licenses. In fact, that is what I did last week.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.